General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Toyota Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:56 PM
blindside

Default Toyota Question

I know this is a Mustang forum, and I do own a 2004 Mustang before everyone gets all upset about me asking about a Toyota problem. BUT I do have a problem with my 2003 Toyota Corolla S, and wondering if anyone could provide any help. I recently did an oil change and after the oil change I noticed the car Idleing weird. The oil filter, pan nut, oil cap, and dipstick are all secured tightly, and I used Mobil 1 full syn and a fram 7,000 mile XG oil filter. The idle goes from high to low and back to high, and while pulling up to a stop light the car sputters when in neutral. At first I thought nothing of it, but now the check engine light is on and that obviously worries me. The car is a 5 speed manual if that helps. The only things I can think of is maybe it needs new spark plugs or plug wires, fuel filter, or last and hopefully not a fuel pump? As luck would have it my warranty was up at 80,000 miles and I now have about 81,500 miles on it.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:09 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Toyota Question

Throttle body could be dirty?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

How about a tune up? But, I'd check the IAC valve first. If it's dirty, it would give you these kind of problems.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:30 PM
5.0 85 GT
3rd Gear Member

or, i have a great idea u could sell ur toyota, and start supporting america alittle more witht he nicer new focus, or get a svt focus, toyotas are not my thing, sry but good luck ont he fix...kinda
Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 PM
blindside

Thanks for all the help I will be taking it in the my local auto repair guy. BTW the Focus is the worst car I have ever driven and it looks horrible, IMO. I obviously support American made cars by the fact that I own a Mustang. The Toyota was a better deal than the Focus, looked better and even with my current problem, will run a lot longer. I supported America by not voting for Bush........and no I didn't vote for Kerryhe would have been just as bad. Nomatter how hardwe try every single one of us buy something from overseas everyday.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Carfanatic

ORIGINAL: blindside

BTW the Focus is the worst car I have ever driven and it looks horrible, IMO. I obviously support American made cars by the fact that I own a Mustang. The Toyota was a better deal than the Focus, looked better and even with my current problem, will run a lot longer.
My wife drives a 2005 Focus ZX3 SES (I drive a 2004 Mustang GT), and I love her car.....I actually drive it quite a bit (love having the sun roof). I can't say how it would compare to a Corolla because I've never even considered test driving a foreign brand, but we are very happy with the two Ford products we own.

However, good luck with having your vehicle repaired and pleasepost what the problem/fix was as it could very well help other regardless of brand.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM
blindside

I guess I came off a little harsh about the Focus, but with a lot of my family overseas fighting in the War it kind of pisses me off when someone says I am unpatriotic by buying a Toyota. It is not that I don't support america, it is I know I buy things all the time from out of country without realizing it because the united states ships it over here to sell for cheaper, so if our government does not care about buying american than why should it's citizens? Anyhow I am sick of talking politics on a car forum. Yes I will post what was wrong with it when I get it checked out tomorrow. Thank you for all of your help. I only test drove the standard run of the mill Focus so maybe the ZX3 is a better car.