Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by NewTakeOff

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-10-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
John Galt

Default Considering used late model Mustang purchase, what year?

Our baby boy is here, and I need to sell my Corvette and buy a "pratical" car. I'm seeing plenty of Mustangs in the year 2000 to 2002 range for $10-12k. Are these good years? Are there any options to avoid? I'm looking for an automatic transmission. Is the V6 okay?

Performance is a concern, but reliability is a bigger concern. It would also be nice if I can find one with a factory warranty. Can I add on or extend the factory warranty to a 2000 to 2002 model?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:31 AM   #2
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Send a message via AIM to mikev08826 Send a message via Yahoo to mikev08826
Default RE: Considering used late model Mustang purchase, what year?

I'd go for a different car all in all. I hear hondas are nice.
mikev08826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

dont go v6.. dropping a vette for a v6 stang , you COULD always go with a older mustang but if you want that year, just make sure its a 99+ 4.6

dc_mann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

I find when you gowith a newer car, You are better off getting a new one.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to import slayer

Well....what's more important to you.....performance or reliability?
If it's performance than get a '99-up V-8 mustang. If you want more reliability, then go with a Honda or Toyota.
I know that sounds funny coming from a guy named "Import slayer" but realistically speaking, that's good advice.
Besides, I don't know where you're from but mustangs, either V-6 or V-8 are not the best choice of vehical for winter driving especially if you say you have a new baby.
1982 GT 351w(.060),10.7:1 flat top pistons, ported & polished heads, 1.94/1.60 valves,stealth intake, 750 holley dp, Comp 274XE cam, C-4 tranny with 3700 stall converter, 8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes,electric fan.
Tons of mods that are too much to list
import slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
John Galt

Quote:
ORIGINAL: import slayer
Well....what's more important to you.....performance or reliability?
If it's performance than get a '99-up V-8 mustang. If you want more reliability, then go with a Honda or Toyota.
I had a 1996 Corvette that gave me virtually no problems (over three years, the only problem was a small radiator leak), and I have a 2002 Corvette that has given me no problems at all. Meanwhile, my mother has had tons of trouble from her near new Honda, so I don't view them as the standard bearer for reliability. I'd like to know if I can expect the same reliability out of a 99-02 V-8 auto trans Mustang that I got out of my Corvettes. Do any years have particular problems? Any options to avoid? Special things to look at when evaluating one to purchase?
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #7
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to import slayer

I ALWAYS hear of problems with the AOD mustangs.....ALWAYS...other than that, I've never heard of any other problems with those year mustangs.

1982 GT 351w(.060),10.7:1 flat top pistons, ported & polished heads, 1.94/1.60 valves,stealth intake, 750 holley dp, Comp 274XE cam, C-4 tranny with 3700 stall converter, 8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes,electric fan.
Tons of mods that are too much to list
import slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #8
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

I have a '02 GT thats an auto and I have no problems with it at all. I like it. The auto is good for everyday driving but not as good for the racing. But it is reliable, I have never had any problems with it. So yea... I think you get the point. If your coming from a vette then go to the GT not the V6. Its good to have the extra power sometimes anyway.
blueangelfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to tightdogal

I have a 2000 v6 automatic and it has not given me any problems. (knock on wood) im almost at 110,000 miles on mine.

2012 Mustang GT Premium: Automatic, HID's, Reverse sensing and camera, remote start. Roush Axle-Back's

-2003 Mustang GT 5-Speed: 3.73's, Maganaflow's, short throw shifter, and a few more things...SOLD. I will miss this car...meh, sorta.
tightdogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:12 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, 2011, 99, avoid, ford, import, late, model, mustang, mustangs, nj, purchasing, reliabitly, slayer, year