General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need advice on CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 AM
JrodGT

Default I need advice on CAI

I'mno mechanic and I want something that will give a nice little HP boost and is somewhat simple to install...Please Help
Old 12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I need advice on CAI

I have a MAC CAI on my 88gt, I here BBK makes a good CAI...but I will tell you that when I first removed the Air Silencer from my stock intake, it had a better sound than with the CAI.
You might want to consider removing the air silencer and putting in a K&N Filter cause it less expensive.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

JLT or Tunable Induction.

[sm=closed.gif]
Old 12-05-2007, 12:54 PM
JrodGT

Should have told ya'll its an 07 GT and I'm very confused to why some need "tunes" and some dont...also if they dont, are they any good? What kind of hp upgrade can I expect?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:03 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

No intake will do any good. I promise you. Buy a cheap *** ebay brand intake and youll be just as happy. Its just a pipe
Old 12-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JrodGT

Should have told ya'll its an 07 GT and I'm very confused to why some need "tunes" and some dont...also if they dont, are they any good? What kind of hp upgrade can I expect?
Hi JrodGT

Welcome to the forum. Since you have a S197 Mustang you will probably receive far more responses if you post over in the 2005 - 2008 Mustangs area.

But here goes:
From the Factory your Stang has a pretty restrictive intake, air box and filter. It also has a very conservative "Tune". For about $700 you can buy an aftermarket Cold Air Intake (CAI), Tuner (a small handheld computer) and Tune (software program). The CAI is very easy to install yourself in your driveway with just a few tools. Takes 30-60min and consists of removing the stock parts and installing the new ones. The Tuner is a little computer device that has a cable that hooks into a port below your steering wheel. You just hook it up and follow the on screen instructions.

There are some intakes available on the market that say "no tune required". I recommend you stay away from them as you will spend cash for little return, the "Tune" is very important.

The best way to go with this is to purchase a Intake and Tuner combo from one of the many firms out there. Brenspeed.com is a well respected supplier but there are others. The brand is pretty much a toss up: JLT, C&L, BBK and several others are all good. The "Tune" is the critical piece. This is where a company like Brenspeed is so valuable. They will work with you over the phone to define what you want: high MPG, high torque, maximize horse power, octane level and components you have added to your car (like the CAI, exhaust, Cams, Nitrous, etc). I recommend you go to Brenspeed.com and read up on this, even if you don't purchase from them it will be informative. Also read the following post, it explains the whole install process: https://mustangforums.com/m_3076597/tm.htm

By the way - a good CAI and Tune totally changes the car. The throttle response in particular is vastly improved. You will gain about 20-25 hp at the rear wheels.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 AM
venom3469
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lexy

No intake will do any good. I promise you. Buy a cheap *** ebay brand intake and youll be just as happy. Its just a pipe
Yes it is just a pipe but sertain brands have differnt ways of doing them. So i would say its just a little bit more than pipe like how many curves or kinks it has and the circumfrince of the pipe as well plays a facter in airflow and rwhp gain.

In my opinon I would go with K&N CAI.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:33 AM
JrodGT

Thanks for all the help...I cant wait to get the CAI and tune!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Captain J

How come no one mentions super chips XCAL II? I have used Lonni at BOC http://www.blueovalchips.com/for years. I am new to the Mustang world and see lots of different tuners out there now. Who has the best now? Same for CAI, no mention of the K&N FIPK?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Murdoc
I ♥ Acer

just get a k&n drop in. theres no need to buy any more than that.

Quick Reply: I need advice on CAI