General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

REMOTE START / IGNITION QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:31 PM
my95pony

Default REMOTE START / IGNITION QUESTIONS

hello everyone , my name is billy im from st.louis missouri and i drive a 1995 ford mustang 3.8 v6 manual (60k orig miles)

this morningi was just about to leave for work when i noticed a brick in my passenger seat !, knowing the situation was a little odd i just threw the brick out and tried starting my car only to then realize that someone broke into my car last night and broke my ignition im guessing they were attempting to steal it.

as of right now my mustang is sitting outside of my townhomeunstartable , i didnt know if i should get a new ignition put in and how much that is going to cost me or if it would be cheaper finding a shop to throw a remote start on my manual ?

the cop came out and found it to be a little odd that they didnt steal anything inside or tear up my car , and they went through the trouble of breaking my ignition and they didnt take the car he said they usually succeed wich makes me believe maybe there coming back tonight to do the final duty ?

Old 12-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Dave5point0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: REMOTE START / IGNITION QUESTIONS

Just get it towed and fixed, and i personally wouldn't go back 2 nights in a row because that'd be just plain dumb, so hopefully your safe.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:18 PM
my95pony

how much do you think itll cost me to get the ignition , they broke the cylinder out buti assume id need a whole new shabang
Old 12-09-2007, 12:44 AM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

here is an ignition cylinder kit for like $30 on ebay. im not positive, but i dont think you can get remote start on a manual. im sure a kit could be custom wired to work, but it would have to override the clutch safety switch that doesnt let the car start without the clutch pressed. and that would just be bad news if you left your car in gear and pressed the start button.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ryan1994mustang

here is an ignition cylinder kit for like $30 on ebay. im not positive, but i dont think you can get remote start on a manual. im sure a kit could be custom wired to work, but it would have to override the clutch safety switch that doesnt let the car start without the clutch pressed. and that would just be bad news if you left your car in gear and pressed the start button.
+1

Thats why i have a hard time tryin to find someone to put in a remote start on mine. You'd have to either do it yourself or find someone to do it as a side job, they wont do it "in shop" too much "liability".
Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
my95pony

if they broke off the cylinder wouldnt i have to buy a whole new steering collum ? or can i just buy a replacement cylynder
Old 12-09-2007, 08:15 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Should only have to buy the sylinder unless they did damage to the steering collum also.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:08 AM
my95pony

so being whoever tried stealing my mustang obviously wanted the car for themselves considering the carefulness hey went through to not mess up the collum all they did was pop out the cylinder
Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 AM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

ya not only is it unsafe to have a remote starter on a manual, its tough(can be done tho), and i kinda think i read somewhere that either in certain towns or states or somethin its illegal..idk if thats true or not tho
Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 AM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

Alot of states do not allow installation of remote starters on manual. I got a viper alarm with remote start and have 5 speed. well when i leave it in gear then remote starts the car will roll up the hill even if the ebrake is up. Also you have to replace you ignition because you have to put the key in after your start your car other wise it will shut off when you press the brake in.

Quick Reply: REMOTE START / IGNITION QUESTIONS