General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

changing clutch and pressure plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 AM
machnone

Default changing clutch and pressure plate

Hey everyone, my sons 95 Mustang needs a new clutch. I'm not very familiar with the car, so i need to ask a few questions.

It is a daily driver with a v6, all stock. Not sure of the displacement. If you need more info i will try to get it. When replacing, i know you need the clutch, pressure plate, andthrowout bearing. Is there also a needle bearing that gets changed with that too? Will i need a tool to line up the clutch, and where can i get one cheap?

I have changed a clutch or two in my time, but it was all back in my musclecar days, about 20 years ago.

Can someone post a link to a tutorial, thread, or other infoon changing the clutch and pressure plate?

My son is 18 and works at the local Menards, so he doesn't have alot of money. And things are tight with myself right now with Christmas and all. We plan on keeping this cheap, going with parts from Autozone.

Any help would be appreciated. THX, Jerry.

Update
Now he's telling me it's not the clutch at all. He says the clutch pedal is going all the way to the floor and not wanting to come back up. Kinda like the brake pedal when your losing fluid.

I'm assuming it maybe has a hydraulic clutch and maybe it is losing fluid? Sound right to you guys?

I am pretty green when it comes to manual trannies.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:08 AM
johnnyhou
1st Gear Member

Default RE: changing clutch and pressure plate

Yup, prolly a leaking slave cylinder. put some brake fluid in there and pump the **** outta the clutch awhile and that should get her going, but you'll need a clutch slave cylinder, or perhaps a clutch master cylinder.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 PM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: changing clutch and pressure plate

http://search.epnet.com
username-greatfalls
password-publiclibrary

this will help you out for future repairs