General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

trick to make light change

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:56 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: trick to make light change

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

definately illegal, and you could cause accidents with that. not to mention alot of lights are timed and i dont know if that throws the timing off or if its going to change every light accordingly to keep up.
I dont see how accidents could happen if youd duplicate the signal, otherwise emergency vehicles would "cause" them themselves. As for screwing up the timing...The lights should continue with the regular sequence after the vehicle hasstopped broadcasting the signal tothe light, and if they are tuned with other lights then those should also make adjustments accordingly; a light shorter or longer than usual.

Interesting tho...
Old 12-23-2007, 02:12 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It's called Opticon, and yes you can cause accidents. Even though the light changes, it does so quickly and can catch drivers unaware, plus emergency vehicles still have lights and sirens and are still legally required to cross the intersection safely, regardless of Opticon. It's for emergency vehicles only, and not all emergency vehicles even have them.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Kmoran81
2nd Gear Member

In some cities the lights have photo (dont be confused with "pictures") sensors on them. They can detect the flashing lights coming and that will tell the lights to start the changing sequence. Try flashing your high beams as your coming towards the light. If your city has them, it will start the light changing sequence. But go slowly as it takes over 7 seconds for the light on the other intersection to change from green to yours changing green.

***DISCLAMIER***
And yes it may cause an accident.

(Thats just the way my city is, it may be different for yours)
Old 12-24-2007, 12:56 AM
iraziel
2nd Gear Member

Interesting......[sm=innoc.gif]
Old 12-24-2007, 01:02 AM
natbel08
1st Gear Member

its that wayfor most of the lights in my city too

i almost never do it because im not ever in that big of a hurry and ithink that you get a pretty big ticket if a cop sees you

Old 12-24-2007, 02:53 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

There was a story in one of our local papers a little while back about a tractor trailer driver who had one of those devices. Seems he was driving up rt 132 which has one light right after the other. He changed every light as he went along until a motorist noticed what he was doing & called 911 ( In our section, when an emergency vehicle changes a light, there is a white spotlight that sits between the traffic signals, & it flashes on & off to let the EM vehicle know that it has received their command to change the signal) He was stopped by the cops-----BIIIIIIiiiiiig FIIIIiiiine---
Old 12-24-2007, 05:26 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iraziel

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

definately illegal, and you could cause accidents with that. not to mention alot of lights are timed and i dont know if that throws the timing off or if its going to change every light accordingly to keep up.
I dont see how accidents could happen if youd duplicate the signal, otherwise emergency vehicles would "cause" them themselves. As for screwing up the timing...The lights should continue with the regular sequence after the vehicle hasstopped broadcasting the signal tothe light, and if they are tuned with other lights then those should also make adjustments accordingly; a light shorter or longer than usual.

Interesting tho...
it will change the lights much quicker than they normall do on a timer to accomodate a speeding emergency vehicle. and thats also a one time thing, not some ****ing jackass who thinks hes too good to wait at a red light like the rest of us. u enjoy bieng at red lights? i dont either, and if its cuz some jackass has some stupid *** thing on his car to make the lights change in his favor i would hope his tires get slashed.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

How would this cause accidents?
I think the light changes faster.

If you were to do this, finding the frequency would be easy. Making it have a large range, and not getting caught would be hard.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:16 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I don't think they'd use it if it changed the lights quickly and caused accidents, i mean if one person is being a ****tard and crashes thats one thing but if it happened all the time they wouldn't do it. I'd suspect the lights change at normal time and people would be just fine.