General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

whats wrong...bucking/hesitation!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 01:35 PM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: whats wrong...bucking/hesitation!?

did you measure the 5.0 cable against the 4.6 cable,to see if there was
a lenght difference?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:57 PM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

I believe there was in fact a difference. Im not completely sure as it was my two mechanic friends that did most of the technical work. I did most of the manual work such as lifting, testing, and basically doing whatever my buddies wanted me to do.

SASTANGMAN...i believe the flywheel was sanded down but i will talk to my friend later on. THe clutch blew on a saturday night. I DONT have a backup car as of yet, i had the car for two days, i had work and school on monday and i really wasnt in the mood to hear from my father. As im sure you know, NOTHING is open on sundays. Luckily one of my friends has a lift. Four of us spent saturday night (after spending all friedya night doing exhaust, intake, gauges, and fluid changes) assesing the problem and taking everything apart until we got to the clutch. Once we saw the clutch was fried it was 11pm on sat night. WE couldnt go any further. So sunday morning we went to the speed shop and bought the clutch while my other two friends worked on smoothing out the flywheel. At this point we had 6 guys and got everything back together at lightning speed. I was easy on it for 500 miles.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:47 PM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

i would think the cable not being the right one would be the
problem. if the right tension is not there to properly engage
the clutch then you will get the eratic clutch play. i have done plenty
of clutch jobs on my stang and if you rush them you will
probably screw something up. another thing i just thought of
did they put the clutch disk facing the right way? also did
you put a new pilot bearing in?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:08 PM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

thank you so much for your help. I will get the answers from my friend when he gets out of work and ill get back to you in a few hours. thanks again
Old 04-20-2005, 03:15 PM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

I think your cable may your problem. It really sounds like the clutch isn't fully engaging. Almost bouncing off the fly wheel under torque. If it's not the cable, you may have to tear it down and take another look at the flywheel.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:24 PM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

alright, well im gonna try to get the car up on my friends lift and have my friend put the STOCK clutch cable back on to see if that works. That should rule out the possibility of it being the clutch cable, correct? He has the stock clutch cable on his and everything is fine. Ill be fixing up the trailer cause we have a big dirtbiking trip this weekend (my first passion)

Are u guys pretty sure its not engine or anything else related? I mean, the car revs find when in neutral. Sounds great, no ticks, no hesitation, and runs well. Its not til i have it in gear that i have the problem. Also, my friends 96 has the same...or very similar clutch and his clutch grabs really hard. Mine doesnt feel like that at all. It feels like my dads 03 corvette clutch or even my friends VW GTI clutch. thanks again, mike
Old 04-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Engine sound fine. But you really don't want to try making it bog. That's a big no-no for the engine.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:44 PM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

Im NOT bogging it. 2000 rpms is not a bog.

anyways, here the update. I just got back from school and the car was sitting since 8am. The clutch was working fine and when i PURPOSEFULLY bogged it, it had the same result as a vehicle should have. Ran fine through all the gears. Then as the car was driving for a while and the engine and components were running for a while it started doing it slightly again. THen after 30 miles of 80mph highway driving, it was doing it really badly now. Any ideas?

btw, i didnt talk to my friend to get teh specifics. Ill post them in a lil when i talk to him. thanks
Old 04-20-2005, 06:47 PM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

maybe its computer problems. wild guess
Old 04-20-2005, 07:00 PM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

possibly....my friend is coming with one of those code reader's tonight hopefully.