General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

whats wrong...bucking/hesitation!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:54 PM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

Default whats wrong...bucking/hesitation!?

I recently purchased a 99 mustang gt 5 spd with 28k miles in mint condition. After two days of having it, the clutch went (the mother drove it sometimes). I really didnt do much driving with it before than. We put a new clutch in (ford king cobra) and i waited to get on it.

I notice that whenever the engine is at semi low rpms and i give it gas, there is a slight bumpyness/rumble in the acceleration and i even feel it in the shifter. This happens whether im starting from a stop in first ...or in fifth on the highway. And YES, i know how to drive. Im new to mustang, is it just how they are when they try to pull at low rpm's? I have a Hurst short throw shifter in there too if that means anything.

I would say it is the clutch, but this seems to happen after the clutch is engaged. Let me give a scenario....

Say im in stop and go traffic... i am at a stop and want to get going a lil bit. I put it in first and let the clutch up while giving it gas (obviously) and i feel the clutch completely grab. Now lets say i stay at the speed it grabbed at and just eek forward. Mind you im still completely in gear and at 1500 rpm lets say. IF i hit the gas to accelerate...it WONT be smooth. There will be like little bumps that i feel in the acceleration and in my hand touching the shifter. Same thing could happen if im cruising at 60 is fifth at about 1500 to 2000 or even higher and give it gas. ALMOST.....ALMOST as if traction control is activating...but it cant be because i have it off and this car is nowhere near outta control! Any tips? My friend who knows mustangs pretty well wasnt sure either. His only guess was that maybe the mounts were loose??? Thanks for any help as i really love my mustang and want to correct any possible problems before they do damage. thanks

Old 04-19-2005, 11:58 PM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: whats wrong...bucking/hesitation!?

break in the clutch for a least 500 miles,i just think you need
to get used to the "new" clutch feel..
Old 04-20-2005, 12:23 AM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

the clutch has 700 miles on it. Maybe at low rpm's its slippin? We DIDNT get the flywheel cut due to the circumstances, but we smoothed it out really well. I cant think of what else it could be other than something clutch related.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:27 AM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

thats your problem take it apart and cut the flywheel. what did you
smooth it down with???
Old 04-20-2005, 12:34 AM
95_302_StangMan
3rd Gear Member

my mustang is a 95 GT 5-speed the i also had a new clutch installed, and mine does the same thing only like even worse when is starts that is i give it more gas it just bucks hards and even spins the tires an if i dont give it any more gas it just dies WTF??
Old 04-20-2005, 12:51 AM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

right i think we have the same problem. At first i thought it mighta just been me bogging it or something, but im not....and even if i was bogging it....this bumping SHOULDNT be the result. I just went for a ride on my friends 96 gt. We bogged the $hit outta it doing something like 30 in fifth gear or something ridiculous like that and it DIDNT do what mine does even with properly timed shifts. Something is up. I went for a ride in mine again...i was fully in second gear and quickly hit the gas to about half way and kept it at that point....it did the usual "bump-bump-bump" and then as if it was a two stroke dirtbike hitting powerband, it took off pretty quickly. I was at about 1700 rpms when i did this. WHAT THE HECK IS UP!?!??!?!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:52 AM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

also...if i go real hard in first and then shift into second and get on it hard, the tires will chirp, then itll die a little bit, then itll rev up again like normal.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:44 PM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

do you have a adjustable cable?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:01 PM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

yep and everything is adjusted fine.....
Old 04-20-2005, 01:10 PM
aftershock00
1st Gear Member

well actually, when i bought the new clutch, the speed shop told us (my friend/mechanic and I) we need a beefier adjustable cable. So for 100 something bucks i bought it. Turns out, the moron gave us a 5.0 cable and not a 4.6. My two mechanic friends made it work for now and sometime next week we'll be swopping it back. At first, we were going to swop it for the correct cable but now my friend is leaning towards just putting the stock cable back in.