General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do I get rid of flat spot on a tire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default How do I get rid of flat spot on a tire?

Welp, was driving home from work last Friday and had to lock my brakes up due to some schmoe making a left turn in front of me. I didn't hit him but my left front tire locked up and smoked something fierce! Now I've got a flat spot. [:@]
They are BFG KDW 235/45 ZR17 tires so they are pretty soft. I had to rotate the tires on that side because when I drive 70 and over it gets really annoying on the steering wheel. ( Now I just get a butt massage)

I'm thinkin' the tire is toast now because even with balancing it, it's still going to have a flat spot. I even tried laying some rubber down once I had it rotated to the back to see if I can even up the tire...it worked a little. To top it off, I found my rear tire (now my front) has some industrial size staples in it and a nail that are cuasing it to leak. [sm=headbang.gif] I wouldn't care but the fact that I've been through 3 tires in the last 9 months because my area has new homes and business being built is very frustrating. Even prorated it's costing me 70-80 bucks a pop. [:'(]

Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:25 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How do I get rid of flat spot on a tire?

That's tough luck. I don't think you can rebuild a flatspot by vulcanizing rubber onto it. If you can feel the flatspot then you'd have to do some pretty loooonnngg burnouts to even out the tread. Try using bleach to speed up the process lol.

I'm surprised your ABS didn't prevent the lockup. No ABS? What kinda car is it?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:48 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

put on rear ...jack car up agaist a tree ..let car down real slow till the tire touches the ground ,,maken lots of smoke it will get the hi spot out of it, you will see a gap where the low spot is,,,a burn out on the ground wont help this it better to have 2 people doing this ,,,be careful.!
Old 05-11-2005, 04:13 PM
sastangman
2nd Gear Member

get a new one
Old 05-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: sastangman

get a new one
<sigh> [] it's already on order and that was before I found the nail and staples in the other tire. So i'll probably have to order a second new tire. Guys at the tire center in Costco know what tires I use and whenever they see me coming now they just ask how many (tires) to order for me. [:'(]

To answer your question GreyStang I opt not to get Traction Control or ABS on my cars. They usually cause too many problems than what they're worth. First time in my 16 or so years of driving where ABS would've helped. Not to avoid an accident, but to keep my tire from getting messed up. I wouldn't try to revulcanize even if that were an option. Phoenix summer + Z rated tire is not a good mix. The freeways around here are littered with disintegrated tires during the months of May - Sept.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:02 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

what kind of tires do you buy at costco, also are they a good deal there? and you can buy just one at a time, right? no bulk packs, right?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:00 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

you can have the tire shaved..many auto cross people have this done to the tire