General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuzz Busters

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:39 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 562cobra
hahahaha. friends???
I work 16 hours a day... I don't have those. What are they???
Old 09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

My V1 saved me just this weekend!
I was making a trip in my wife's minivan back home from a family members house where I did some work and was in a hurry.The speed limit is 70 mph on the interstate and I was doing about 85.A Ford focus was passing me and slowing down then passing me again and was getting annoying.So I floored the gas to go around this person and leave them forever.Just as I got a little ahead of them my V1 started to beep.I let off the gas and got back into the right lane and eased on the brakes.The Focus went by me at around 85 mph and as they got ahead of me their brake lights lit up.Too late it turns out because as their brake lights went on the State Trooper lights went on also.They pulled over at a rest stop and the cop folowed them in.
My V1 gave me at least a ten second warning around a curve with the cop using the "instant on" feature.I know this was how the radar was being used because if they had been emmitting a continous signal I would have known about it even further away.He was obviously targeting some of the traffic ahead of both of us and just happened to have the radar still on when the Focus came into view.It could have also been the fact that I was driving the minivan and not my Mustang.After all,who speeds ina minivan????
Old 09-02-2008, 07:07 AM
sransari
2nd Gear Member

Sorry everyone is being so mean for no reason. Let me try to help.

I have owned a valentine 1 for over a year now and it is excellent, even against laser. It picks up K-band about a mile away and will help keep you completley off the enemy's radar since it gives you such advanced notice. Also, laser detection is excellent, but you have to react instantly to avoid a ticket from laser. I have been saved several times from laser because the detector alerts me before I can even see the cop hiding. Yes, when your laser alert goes off, they have already gotten an initial read on your speed, but if you react quick, you can slow down enough to avoid the ticket, as the enemy can't do anything to you because they need about 500 feet of you speeding on the laser gun as evidence in court. There have been several times when the detector alerted me of laser and I slowed down instantly and saw the very disgruntled look on the cop's face for not being able to pull me over since he KNEW I was speeding but didn't have the 500 feet of evidence needed.

Despite the greatness of the valentine one, I have still gotten 2 tickets in the past year and a half. The first one I got in my vette because the top was down and my music was blasting, so I simply couldn't hear the detector. When I saw the cop, I noticed my laser alert was going off and I presume it had been going off for at least 5-7 seconds before I noticed it, but by that time it was much too late. The 2nd ticket I got was because I was just going down the street and didn't turn on my detector. It's no help if it's off!

There are other very feature-rich detectors out there with things like GPS to remember and avoid false alarm areas and speed traps, etc, but I still swear by my valentine one and simply would not drive in any of my cars without one. In terms of detection skills, it is completley unsurpassed, and the creator is very passionate about his product.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

lol "enemy"

Here in Ontario Canada it is illegal to have a radar detector in your car. If you still want one you need to get one of the stealthy "anti-VG2" models. AND you also can't "instantly react" to an alert because if you do then the cop KNOWS you have a detector [groan]. If caught, they take away the detector and give a nice juicy $$$ ticket
Old 09-02-2008, 09:24 AM
sransari
2nd Gear Member

V1 is anti-VG2. if you toss the detector in the back quickly and stealthly, they can't prove u have one just cuz u slowed down quick.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sransari
Sorry everyone is being so mean for no reason. Let me try to help.

I have owned a valentine 1 for over a year now and it is excellent, even against laser. It picks up K-band about a mile away and will help keep you completley off the enemy's radar since it gives you such advanced notice. Also, laser detection is excellent, but you have to react instantly to avoid a ticket from laser. I have been saved several times from laser because the detector alerts me before I can even see the cop hiding. Yes, when your laser alert goes off, they have already gotten an initial read on your speed, but if you react quick, you can slow down enough to avoid the ticket, as the enemy can't do anything to you because they need about 500 feet of you speeding on the laser gun as evidence in court. There have been several times when the detector alerted me of laser and I slowed down instantly and saw the very disgruntled look on the cop's face for not being able to pull me over since he KNEW I was speeding but didn't have the 500 feet of evidence needed.

Despite the greatness of the valentine one, I have still gotten 2 tickets in the past year and a half. The first one I got in my vette because the top was down and my music was blasting, so I simply couldn't hear the detector. When I saw the cop, I noticed my laser alert was going off and I presume it had been going off for at least 5-7 seconds before I noticed it, but by that time it was much too late. The 2nd ticket I got was because I was just going down the street and didn't turn on my detector. It's no help if it's off!

There are other very feature-rich detectors out there with things like GPS to remember and avoid false alarm areas and speed traps, etc, but I still swear by my valentine one and simply would not drive in any of my cars without one. In terms of detection skills, it is completley unsurpassed, and the creator is very passionate about his product.
Wow, just wow. Where do you get your information from? There is no "500ft" rule for pulling someone over. And the "enemy", again wow. I don't believe that your detector has saved you for a minute from LIDAR, maybe conventional radar guns or if it's new cop who didn't properly target the first time. Sorry, but there is no early warning device for LIDAR, the best you can do is purchase a "jamming" device that will give a "sweep error", and even the best ones only work 75% of the time.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

V1 is anti-VG2. if you toss the detector in the back quickly and stealthly, they can't prove u have one just cuz u slowed down quick.
If the cop is well hidden and sees you JAM on the brakes the very same moment he hit's the trigger on his instant-on radar well,, he'd be a dummy not to think you don't have a radar detector

It's actually not illegal to "posess" a radar detector here. If you have one in a gym bag in your trunk then that's perfectly fine, so once you cross a border to an area that radar detectors are allowed you can go unpack it. But it has to be BEYOND EASY REACH of the driver to be OK. Chucking it to the back seat at the last moment isn't gonna help

Last edited by GreyStang; 09-02-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
sransari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Wow, just wow. Where do you get your information from? There is no "500ft" rule for pulling someone over. And the "enemy", again wow. I don't believe that your detector has saved you for a minute from LIDAR, maybe conventional radar guns or if it's new cop who didn't properly target the first time. Sorry, but there is no early warning device for LIDAR, the best you can do is purchase a "jamming" device that will give a "sweep error", and even the best ones only work 75% of the time.

Hilarious...actually what you're saying is the complete OPPOSITE of reality. From wikipedia:

"Contrary to popular belief LIDAR does not suffer from “sweep” error when the operator uses the equipment correctly and when the LIDAR unit is equipped with algorithms that are able to detect when this has occurred. A combination of signal strength monitoring, receive gate timing, target position prediction and pre-filtering of the received signal wavelength prevents this from occurring. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDAR

The signal-strength monitoring is one of the give-aways for LIDAR that is picked up by a V1.
So basically, a jamming device will NOT work, but a V1 WILL alert in time. As far as the 500 feet rule goes, let's look at the actual LAW in Maryland (may the law is different in your state) directly from LexisNexis.com (you'll need a registered account to search for it, luckily my brother is a lawyer and has an account that I use):

Any "Law Enforcement Officer" must not engage in a "traffic stop" unless object evidence beyond a reasonable doubt can be produced at the time of the "traffic stop" or there is reasonable cause for the "traffic stop"... (basically saying a cop can't pull you over for no reason)

The law further continues to get specific about laser detection:

The device must be calibrated to the manufacturers specifications after each each use.
The device must show a speed in excess of the posted speed limit for a distance 500 FEET OR MORE

-----------------

So to answer your question, I get my information from the law books and from reputable sources such as wikipedia. It is unfortunate that a police officer is unaware of the law, which is why there are so many unlawful traffic tickets issued each and everyday.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 PM
sransari
2nd Gear Member

By the way, beating laser is not tough to do in court if you can get your hands on a manufacturer's instruction manual for that exact laser gun the cop was using. There's a whole slew of guidlines for calibrating the system, including waving the gun past a telephone pole. Chances are, the officer neglected to follow the instructions word for word, which you can nail him on in court.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:13 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

... I get my information from the law books and from reputable sources such as wikipedia...
lol that's funny

Quick Reply: Fuzz Busters