General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

V6 or V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grabber
I know man. In the defense of V6's, there has been a lot of crap given about how the GT's are so much better. I just think the opinions are biased and are judged soley based on the size of the motor and performance. It's cool.

Yes, there are plenty of V8's that can whoop on V6's. That should be somewhat obvious....

We are cool man. No worries.
coo... I know... the good thing about the new v6 stangs is that they respond very well to mods. either way its a good buy. It is nicer to start with a better platform tho.

and giving a grand national as an example isn't really what we are talking about. The guy said a mustang v6 vs v8. Not a hooblah vs a conchooga (no clue what I said)
Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Griffin39

Well I looked into insurance and for 1 year it would cost me about $2800 for the V6 and $3400 for the V8. I kind of want the V8 but overall the gt costs more, gas, insurance, repairs will put me over my budget i think. V6 is in my price range and then i could put a chip or something in it to boost the power up.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman5089
That's good, but many do.
A V8 won't sound like a weed whacker either. I've never heard a good sounding sixxer stang.
gas milage is the same v6 vs GT, and repair parts are about the same as well

my long tubes and high flow cats actually dont sound that bad, but i also have a quiter then most exhaust...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae3hIW0G7Bo

BUT high compression BBC > sex
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If this is your first car and you are young, get the V6 and save yout money. You'll love the, and you'll be able to put money in a savings account for later in life.
And at some point if you want V8 power, add a blower (which will still be cheaper than cost of GT plus insurance cost) and be faster than a stock GT.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Griffin39
Well I looked into insurance and for 1 year it would cost me about $2800 for the V6 and $3400 for the V8. I kind of want the V8 but overall the gt costs more, gas, insurance, repairs will put me over my budget i think. V6 is in my price range and then i could put a chip or something in it to boost the power up.
What year of car did you get the quote for? If GT insurance & "fuel economy" extra $ will put you past your budget then I guess mods for the V6 aren't gonna be happening anytime soon,, be SURE you are happy with the power of the V6 NOW because that's where it is gonna be for the next while.

And like I said before,, if you decide to get a V6 then think hard about getting it with a 5-speed. Learn to drive stick if you haven't yet, it will squeeze the max power out of the engine.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:10 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Griffin39

we dont use chips much anymore, most cars use tuners now. but if you get a good solid GT you wont have to repair it
Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

A grand national is turbo charged 6, and for realz, its a grand national..come on, its not even NEAR the same league as a Ford V6.

For every sixer Mustang that is worth a crap, there is 100,000 more V8 mustangs that will destroy it. The V8 is the ONLY source of TRUE power on a mustang..sure, go ahead and send me all the youtube videos you want, but when isht hits the fan its V8 or nothing. A ford v8 will always be better then any ford v6..or pretty much almost any v6 for that matter. Me personally, i'd rather drive a 200HP 5.0 Fox then a 300HP + 350z, no matter how much faster the Z may be, the V8 is still a v8 and the 6 is still a 6..i've driven 6cyl cars with more horse power than some 8s and they still don't hit the spot right for me..theres a certain feeling the V8 has. In your case, the 8 is MUCH faster then the 6..even 20 years later they STILL can't build a v6 in a mustang that can beat the P.O.S 5.0so slow with a 5spd. Heck, go buy a foxbody, you can find a real nice one for like 4 grand..it's better than a 2010 V6 any day of the week.

the 00-04 model year GTs are real reliable. The 96-04 aren't all that bad either and the 5.0s are near bullit proof (pun intended) And the new 05 and up 3v Modular Engines are reliable and frikin bad *** and respond really well to mods. Ford imo has built a rep for building a strong reliable all around V8, it seems to me the car with the V8s even have less problems (head gaskets, etc. etc.) If your not gonna buy an 8, then in my humble opinion to buy a ford focus or something.

Last edited by Jbauer; 12-02-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbauer
then in my humble opinion to buy a ford focus or something.
To be completely honest, I'd take a a focus over a V6 stang any day. Atleast the focus gets good mpg.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbauer
A grand national is turbo charged 6, and for realz, its a grand national..come on, its not even NEAR the same league as a Ford V6.

For every sixer Mustang that is worth a crap, there is 100,000 more V8 mustangs that will destroy it. The V8 is the ONLY source of TRUE power on a mustang..sure, go ahead and send me all the youtube videos you want, but when isht hits the fan its V8 or nothing. A ford v8 will always be better then any ford v6..or pretty much almost any v6 for that matter. Me personally, i'd rather drive a 200HP 5.0 Fox then a 300HP + 350z, no matter how much faster the Z may be, the V8 is still a v8 and the 6 is still a 6..i've driven 6cyl cars with more horse power than some 8s and they still don't hit the spot right for me..theres a certain feeling the V8 has. In your case, the 8 is MUCH faster then the 6..even 20 years later they STILL can't build a v6 in a mustang that can beat the P.O.S 5.0so slow with a 5spd. Heck, go buy a foxbody, you can find a real nice one for like 4 grand..it's better than a 2010 V6 any day of the week.

the 00-04 model year GTs are real reliable. The 96-04 aren't all that bad either and the 5.0s are near bullit proof (pun intended) And the new 05 and up 3v Modular Engines are reliable and frikin bad *** and respond really well to mods. Ford imo has built a rep for building a strong reliable all around V8, it seems to me the car with the V8s even have less problems (head gaskets, etc. etc.) If your not gonna buy an 8, then in my humble opinion to buy a ford focus or something.
dude, you are one funny guy. Ford isn't building v6 mustangs and saying "oh my god, they are still slower than an older 5.0", they are building them as the base model.

You must be one of those guys that loses to a 350z, then says "it's still a v6". If the guy wants a v6, let him get one. Not everyone want's just power out of a car. To be honest, it'd be cool to have a 4cyl or a 6cyl and say I beat a v8, but that's just me
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
i actually dont regret buying my 6er even if my car is more expensive then a GT, its going to cost me about the same to safely support ~450 HP weather it be a v6 or a GT, the only differance is theres a LOT of 450 HP GTs and NOT a lot of 450 6ers.

would you tell a Buick guy its a waste of time to build a Grand National? just so you know, ford copied the 231 GN motor for their 3.8 but used a on center block and aluminum heads that will flow better then E7s or stage 1 ported PI heads. unfortunately most of the people who buy v6s dont build them or buy them for the simple fact "there just a mustang".

if you want a vehicle quick out of the box, if you want to actualy build something as easy as a 5.0 but newer, the 3.8/4.2 is a damn good place to start
If I wanted to build that motor I would get the gnx because it was built with the turbocharger in mind and has low compression and all the parts already installed. Thats just my opinion.

The v6 I was in was pretty slow. I asked him so when you going to hit the gas and he was like I have been. I couldnt even tell when he went WOT, thats how low the tq was.

If you want a car that is quick out of the box and can be built for a lot more than get the GT.

If you want a slow v6 untill you have the thousands of dollors to supercharge it then get the v6.