General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

V6 or V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grabber
Moving on, Jbauer- I would Absolutely love to see an old Fox body beating 350Z's left and right.
I understand why ppl buy those cars, but when you come to a mustang forum, expect people like me to try and convince you to buy a V8, you know what i mean?

but i mean looking at it, what can you make a Z? and what can you make a 302?... lets see, 337, 347, 331...the list goes on..lets step it up a notch and go to the other Ford engines that are easily swapped into a fox. 351, 397..427... we're not talking skyline sways here, we're talking about real attainable Cheap goals.
You can make a stang turn..it'll just cost you upwards of 5 grand..but you can get it there. in all honesty, if i gave a crap about turns then i would buy a V8 M3..really, how hard am i going to drive it to notice a diffrence in handling? for the most part, it's pretty difficult for me to notice a diffrence in handling unless i'm out on Road atlantas once a year track day. see BMW knows this..i wonder why the New M3 is a V8 and no longer a 6...

Last edited by Jbauer; 12-03-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbauer
what can you make a Z? and what can you make a 302?... lets see, 337, 347, 331...351, 397..427... we're not talking skyline sways here, we're talking about real attainable Cheap goals.
You can make a stang turn..it'll just cost you upwards of 5 grand..but you can get it there. in all honesty, if i gave a crap about turns then i would buy a V8 M3..see BMW knows this..i wonder why the New M3 is a V8 and no longer a 6...

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since you seem like a good ole chap. Even though you sound like a damn ricey fan-boy.

Yes, a 302 can be made into a lot of things. You saying, but what if, and well.....doesn't mean **** here. Stock for Stock, Z's are faster in every way. Better technology, light-weight, gearing, POWER and good tuning.

You can go ahead and mod your big bad motor, they can go ahead and add bolt-ons with some tires, and be just about even.

See, I laugh at guys that think a BIG motor is the answer to speed. You can have all the power and displacement in the world. You need supporting mods to actually put all that crap to use.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

I wonder how long a Z with slicks and bolt ons and gearing would last before it snapped something..
Why are you comparing them to fords? Fords are slow as hell..from the factory anyway.
Lets compare it to a GM..4500 dollars for a 12 second car..wheres the big bad Z at now?
Not to mention..again..Zs are probably the worse sounding engines i've heard. Sounds like a groaning octupuss..whatever the heck that would sound like lol..it sounded appropriate.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grabber
Just for the record, Charger R/T's are by no means 13 sec cars stock, without really good conditions and someone that can launch an auto. Also, just by slapping on a Turbo on a V6 stang, isn't going to net you 11's. Fazm has not hit 11's yet(no disrespect, just relating Fazm) and he has broke his rear end before, and the trans.
I said challenger r/t's which people have already had video claims of low 13 runs.

I said my set-up with 11's, which will definitly hit 11s. I'm an auto transmission and Fazm agrees his not a great stick driver(he hit 15.3 with the car stock and people have hit 14's on stock M5 05+ V6's). I will have a number of bolt-ons more than fazm when I put on the turbo and even he admitted I should be good into the high 11's, possibly mid-deep 11's with what I was thinking. (Check the track/conditions he runs his car under too). He also broke his manual trans that was rated below 300HP and his rear on hard stick launches. I have an auto trans thats rated at 550Torque and powerbraking with the stock stall converter will be easy on/fine for my rear end, it's been done before.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:08 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

regardless of how a car sounds to YOU, doesnt make it a fact, sorry.

buy and mod whatever you want but you cant be arguing your opinions as facts. like i said i want ~430 HP out of my car, i knew i DIDNT want to buy a DSS forged short block for it, i knew i wanted a cammed car, i wasnt about to spend $1200 on cams. and, i knew i wanted a car newer then 2000, so the 5.0 was out

could you show me a PI GT for $5500 about a year ago? cause thats whats into my car with the exhaust. yes i ran a 15.8, but if you also notice i trapped about the same as a stock 5.0. (even if it was the ONE stock one ive seen run).

i never regretted buying my 6er for a GT, maybe a termi, but then again that 15k on top of my cars price will net me the car i want.

By the way, did you originally know the 94 cobra was supposed to have a Tbird supercoupe drive train, but it out accelerated, out breaked, and out handeld the 5.0 tremendously, and ford couldnt have a measly v6 out performing their flagship
Old 12-03-2008, 02:27 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

I say get the GT if that's what you REALLY want. You might push your pennies close, but don't settle for less when it's not what you want. I prefer V8's in all my AMERICAN muscle cars, but for other cars that are designed for them it's another story (not talking base models here, guys.) The V6 in the newer cars does it's job well, and you can make them fast for sure. I love engines and mods of all types, so if you'de like to be the 'underdog' and surprise the hell out of people, go for that. I can say that having a V8 will be easier in my opinion, because you have alot more displacement to work with, and the performance parts are obviously extremely plentiful for them in the market.

Get what makes you happy, though. Can't go wrong with either of them. I wouldn't personally build the V6 in a mustang because I feel that mustangs were meant for a V8. That's MY opinion, though, and going either way isn't wrong. I like having a GT for the 'status', the performance, the rumble and sound, and the way they drive. It feels good to me, and I wouldn't change a thing. V8's are my world, but I say you just find something you like and go with it. V6 or V8 doesn't matter as long as you're happy with your purchase. That's all it comes down to. I say you go out and drive both and if you like the V6 as much as you like the GT model, then there's no need to spend the extra dollar.

As far as gas is concerned though, it is the same nearly and the insurance is a minimal factor in my opinion. It will be different, but not by too terribly much.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
regardless of how a car sounds to YOU, doesnt make it a fact, sorry.

buy and mod whatever you want but you cant be arguing your opinions as facts. like i said i want ~430 HP out of my car, i knew i DIDNT want to buy a DSS forged short block for it, i knew i wanted a cammed car, i wasnt about to spend $1200 on cams. and, i knew i wanted a car newer then 2000
Who says GTs 00-04 GTs run mid 14s anyway? My car with K&N air filter and H pipe will run 13.7-13.9 all night long.
Daaamn, 1200 bones for cams? Shoot, think 600..for the cams i've been looking at anyway.
i dunno, i mean to each his own.. other ppl have opinions too but if you think a 6cyl mustang sounds better than a V8, errr..
Here are the facts.. a 00 mustang GT, no matter how slow people want to call it is faster than 90 percent of the cars I see on the road. A 05+ GT is thatmuch faster. and for 97% of ford enthusiasts (and i'm counting the probe, focus and truck guys into this) i'm willing to bet my left nut that they like the sound of the V8 mustang over the weedwacker V6.

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/6441...rd-Mustang.jpg (V6)

vs

http://home.comcast.net/~nx330mustang/369small.jpg (V8)

../over

Anyway, i see now that theres no changing anyones mind. I feel i've based a strong point on V8 supremecy as far as Fords go.
It's up to the OP to make a decision based on test driving, and what he's read..which is pretty much that V6s are slow but have potential if you have the time and dedication and that v8s come out well rounded from the factory and can be made quick also at the expense of a hundred bones or so more for insurance (which was un true in my case and many other cases)

Last edited by Jbauer; 12-03-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

stage 2 cams + dyno will run about a gram, slightly more if you have to install.

i had a 92 camaro with a 5.0. i had MORE money into that then my mustang. full exhaust, open element, gears, B&M kit/shifter/cooler, 3.73s, posi, v6 front struts/springs, Z28 rears, etc, know what, after all that my weak *** V6 out traped it by 5 mph and ran half a second quicker while pulling a much worse 60'... so ive been down the V8 road before. My v6 was cheaper and faster.

and if you want to argue torque, i think my dump truck at work would pretty much out run alot of V8s on here, even without the propane.

Last edited by mustangman02232; 12-03-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

meh, that 5.0 camaro wasn't much to talk about, an Lt1 would of been diffrent.
I dunno, i can respect the 6cyl, its just i cant do it on a ford, it seems sorta out of place. I'll pay more attention this march when the track re opens and talk with some of the sixxer owners and see what they run
Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Here is what a 350z can do on a stock 6 speed tranny and rear end.