General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

E-85 for any vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
luv4cobra

Default E-85 for any vehicle?

I'm curious if anyone has info re: using E-85 in vehicles not designed for its use. I've done some research, including this video:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/08...y-car-use-e85/. Any info is appreciated.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:24 PM
RHuckster
2nd Gear Member

From what I've read in the past E-85 will damage the fuel system on non-E-85 cars, eats the seals up.

Rick
Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

+1 rhuckster, that and the pcm doesnt have a stratagy to deal with e85 and you will suffer hard starts, rough running, lack of power, and an illuminated check engine light with a pile of fuel system and o2 sensor codes. trust me i have seen it first hand.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:55 PM
allaflhollows

I'm pretty sure you can run half and half. (fill up on E85 then fill up on regular next time)

I know my brother does that in his Jeep.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

You guys are all wrong. E85 can be used in pretty much any fuel injected car after 1989 with a little help. Thats when 10% ethanol was put into our gas and manufacturers had to upgrade the fuel compenents to handle it and I know people that have ran it for years with no corrosion.

Im running e85 in my Eagle Talon TSi and its the best thing I have ever done to it. The stuff is rated at 105 octane but is more like a c16 race fuel. People have made more power on the same setup with e85 than c16. It also cleans the motor from all deposits and carbon. The motor looks the same it did when built after 50,000 miles. The stuff will never detonate. Usually when tuning you will get detonation before losing power when adding timing. Now with e85, you can add so much timing you will loose power before any detonation.

The problem is its 30% less dense than gas and you need to add 20-30% more fuel flow to the cylinders to run safe AFR's. This has made my gas mileage about 15% worse but I'm only paying $1.49/gal for race fuel.

I was making 300whp on 91 pump gas at 18psi and 20* timing advance with 0-4 counts of detonation. On the same car and turbo I upped boost to 32psi, and 27* timing with no detonation and making 420whp with e85.

My next project is a 5.0 mustang running e85 and some type of supercharger or turbo. Most likely turbo since thats what I know and love. Ive been tuning e85 for a long time now with no issues.

It can get hard to start in 30* below weather but once it starts and warms up a bit you are fine. Remember 30% more fuel flow is needed, so large fuel pump, injectors and a good tuning device is needed or you will run lean and burn your motor up. Also e85 percentage changes though out the year so an in car wbo2 is also reccomended.

Some new cars can compensate enough for cruising but WOT can get dangerous, expecially in a boosted car. An n/a car may do a little better on stock ecu.

I know a guy that did burn a valve running 50/50 mix so I dont reccomend doing that.

Just so you guys know there are a few S/C cobras and older fox bodys running e85 here making lots of power. I personally know more than 5 people making 400-750whp on turbo DSM's with e85. We would never run another fuel again in any car we build.

Last edited by JayRolla; 12-02-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Oh yes. Planning this upgrade to my 67 mustang and turbo. Can't wait. May tune for E-85 with the carb first to see the difference in power. Then do the EFI AND A2W later. really looking forward to it since we can get it at two pumps here also.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:22 PM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

I know a guy on the same exact tune just added 20% fuel across the whole air/fuel curve and made 10whp over his last setup. They then added boost and timing to make at least 100whp over pump gas.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 AM
luv4cobra

Default thanks...

Sounds like all I need to do is make some minor upgrades and I'll be set-up for E-85. The video posted in my original message also said that E-85 did not cause engine damage and, if anything, cleaned it up a bit. Thanks for the info. I also see you're from CO. What part? I'm over on the Western Slope in Grand Junction.

Originally Posted by JayRolla
You guys are all wrong. E85 can be used in pretty much any fuel injected car after 1989 with a little help. Thats when 10% ethanol was put into our gas and manufacturers had to upgrade the fuel compenents to handle it and I know people that have ran it for years with no corrosion.

Im running e85 in my Eagle Talon TSi and its the best thing I have ever done to it. The stuff is rated at 105 octane but is more like a c16 race fuel. People have made more power on the same setup with e85 than c16. It also cleans the motor from all deposits and carbon. The motor looks the same it did when built after 50,000 miles. The stuff will never detonate. Usually when tuning you will get detonation before losing power when adding timing. Now with e85, you can add so much timing you will loose power before any detonation.

The problem is its 30% less dense than gas and you need to add 20-30% more fuel flow to the cylinders to run safe AFR's. This has made my gas mileage about 15% worse but I'm only paying $1.49/gal for race fuel.

I was making 300whp on 91 pump gas at 18psi and 20* timing advance with 0-4 counts of detonation. On the same car and turbo I upped boost to 32psi, and 27* timing with no detonation and making 420whp with e85.

My next project is a 5.0 mustang running e85 and some type of supercharger or turbo. Most likely turbo since thats what I know and love. Ive been tuning e85 for a long time now with no issues.

It can get hard to start in 30* below weather but once it starts and warms up a bit you are fine. Remember 30% more fuel flow is needed, so large fuel pump, injectors and a good tuning device is needed or you will run lean and burn your motor up. Also e85 percentage changes though out the year so an in car wbo2 is also reccomended.

Some new cars can compensate enough for cruising but WOT can get dangerous, expecially in a boosted car. An n/a car may do a little better on stock ecu.

I know a guy that did burn a valve running 50/50 mix so I dont reccomend doing that.

Just so you guys know there are a few S/C cobras and older fox bodys running e85 here making lots of power. I personally know more than 5 people making 400-750whp on turbo DSM's with e85. We would never run another fuel again in any car we build.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 PM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

Im in the Springs. Yea it does clean the motor completely. It will shine like new. Even in the intake mani where the injectors are you can see where the fuel hits and its all shiney compared to the rest which is black.

Just remember to have enough injector. You dont want to run out and cause lean condition at high rpms. Just to add i'm running on stock fuel lines, fuel filter and rail.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:41 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

There's no need to run E85 in a car without boost or enough compression. I think that needs to be pointed out. But in a high compression or boosted application, E85 is an excellent fuel, despite the problems it may have(cold starting and more fuel consumption). It's also not easy to get in some parts of the country.

Quick Reply: E-85 for any vehicle?