General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission switch, auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 PM
LindsayCaitlin

Default transmission switch, auto to manual

i got my 2004 v6 mustang a year ago, and it's an automatic. i've since learned how to drive a stick and i want to convert it. does anyone know what sorts of parts i'll need to do all this? i'm going to try to buy them all myself and pay someone to assemble everything once i have the parts.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:01 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

They actually did this in Mustang Monthly magazine.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/41438/index.html

FYI: Go to a junkyard and find a Mustang with all the parts. You don't need all new parts.

Don't forget to include: flux capacitor, headlight fluid, and elbow grease
Old 01-29-2009, 12:15 AM
LindsayCaitlin

lol, i sense a bit of sarcasm in your response. but thank you for the article, it's helpful!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ask yourself if it would be worth it because it will cost a pretty penny.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Not just the tranny,, but you gotta change out the center console, replace the pedals, change the ECU, get all the clutch linkages,., etc etc..

+ if you gotta pay a garage to do it, could cost upwards of $2000 including all the parts.. how bad do U wanna switch??

Sell the car & buy one with a 5-speed, at the end of the day that's the cheapest route to go
Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Trade in your car and get a Manual. I think it would be cheaper and also less of a headache. It will cost thousands of dollars to do this switch. I'm sure you could almost do a straight up trade with someone who wants an Auto (depending on your Mileage/mods etc.) or trade for a pretty low cost. If you've got relatively low miles then I would say just do a straight up trade with someone who has a manual with a bit more miles.

Last edited by maxshuty; 01-29-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

With the car market the way it is, you could easily get a really nice 5 spd new edge GT for around $8k. With all the parts needed and the labor to do the swap, you'd really be best off just selling it and taking advantage of the prices right now.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 PM
LindsayCaitlin

i was thinking of just trading it for a manual, but i'm kinda attached to the car. and i'm the second owner of the car but i knew the first people well.. i know there is absolutely nothing mechanically wrong with the car etc.. i'm not so sure i'd be that lucky with getting another car
Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Fobra
Banned

go ahead and swap the motor with it
Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

In the case your just going to do the upgrade then I'd take a look at the junkyard for parts. But like everyone's said a bunch it's going to cost a whole lot of money and it wont make your car "worth more". Also in reality if your doing it for a speed increase or something then I doubt you'll see any difference as an Automatic will shift faster than any person can shift. (Unless your perfect!! :P)

PERSONALLY I would take the money and just get a whole bunch of mods. Heck save up a bit more and just supercharge it...

Quick Reply: transmission switch, auto to manual