General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Going on a long road trip... things to prepare for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:27 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Going on a long road trip... things to prepare for?

My girlfriend and I are driving my house to her parents house over spring break, about 1,100 miles and then back a week later, 2,200 miles total. I think I might do a few fuel tests while on this long drive... observe difference in MPG from going 74mph and 67 mph, etc.

Other than that what else do I need to prepare for this trip? I'm doing all of the obvious things, checking tire pressure, doing an unneeded oil change (I should still be good for another 3K miles but I'll change it anyway). What else should I check or do before I go on this trip? I can't think of anything but I also can't afford to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

i drive at least 800 miles a month to GA and back. I think it's a lil over 4xx miles there and then back. I got a 08 GT and it rides perfectly there and back no problems. Do simple checks such as tire pressure, air filter check, change oil if needed, etc.

I always wash mine spotless and vaccum and clean the leather interior before any trip as well. Can't be traveling states and looking bad ya know.

But i never had any problems on long trips.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM
koesterca1
2nd Gear Member

Check your spare and make sure its not flat..make sure you also have a lug wrench and working jack in the trunk.I keep a set of basic tools in the trunk of both my cars.Including a small socket set,various screw drivers,adjustable wrench,need nose pliers,a razor blade,flash light, duck tape,string,and a coat hanger..just incase I gotta pull a Macgyver and rig something up until I make it somewhere I can really fix what broke.I'd also make sure you've got jumper cables,some coolant ,and maybe even a spare serpentine belt..nothing like being a car guy..breaking down..knowing whats wrong and how to fix it..but not having the right tools. On the other hand your car's a little newer than both of mine..so you'll probably make it there with no problems.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
junkrider

Bring ear protection.

You know... in case back seat driving...
Old 02-13-2009, 03:03 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Tires: tread/air pressure/lugs secured
Brakes: wear
Oil: engine/tranny
Coolant level
Old 02-13-2009, 04:29 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

If it was a summer drive I'd recommend flushing out the cooling system, but this time of year U should be OK
Old 02-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Just make sure the oil is topped off or changed, tire pressure and have fun! ...bring extra cash!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

those guys covered most!

change the filters before- fuel and air. bring an extra belt andsome fixaflat just in case(even with the spare). check wiper blades, lights, etc. and bring music!