General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LS2 motor in 2003 mustang... help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
Only time will tell, but I still think that on race gas the zr with a pulley and tune could hit "damn near 1000" - as per my original comment.... Ill stick to that, I could be wrong but I know Ill be close
That is highly unlikely, but I would be very impressed if it actually happened. The ZR1 should only be putting down about 550 to the wheels(assuming 15% dt loss which is pretty average) It wouldn't make sense for them to underrate it... especially since they gave such an odd number 638. So it would have to pick up 450whp. I don't know how much boost those things are running stock but it would probably have to hit more than 20psi to make 1k rwhp, and I just don't see it happening with a new pulley. It will need a lot more.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by acarzt
That is highly unlikely, but I would be very impressed if it actually happened. The ZR1 should only be putting down about 550 to the wheels(assuming 15% dt loss which is pretty average) It wouldn't make sense for them to underrate it... especially since they gave such an odd number 638. So it would have to pick up 450whp. I don't know how much boost those things are running stock but it would probably have to hit more than 20psi to make 1k rwhp, and I just don't see it happening with a new pulley. It will need a lot more.
It's not odd that they gave it 638, it means they juiced that engine for as much as they possibly could. After all, with the ZR1 Chevy was competing with the big boys such as Porsche and Mercedes and they needed every last hp to compete.

Yeah, for a ZR1 to get 1000 crank OR whp it would take serious modifications. Most likely a swap from the Eaton blower to a turbo along with cam, headers, and other supporting mods.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 PM
lilc1511
2nd Gear Member

jizz who is that bad *** in your sig?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lilc1511
jizz who is that bad *** in your sig?
That's the ***** F*ckin Techno Viking!!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Fobra,

I have to agree with you. I could be going much faster with a lot less money invested if I would have went with a LSX
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Speed-Demon
1st Gear Member

just kinda throwing this idea out there but,..... what about a 4.6L terminator cobra motor with pulley swap/3.4L whipple blower(whatever way u wanna go)...

- or u could just put a 3cyl metro engine in it and own the most unique mustang out there (JK)
Old 03-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Swaie

I am a new mustang owner and just got a GT Convertable. And I like the car but lets not be stupid. A supercharged camaro running the same amount of boost as a cobra, the camaro will win everytime. I have a 1998 six speed camaro with hooker LTs, Fast 90/90 intake combo, stock cam, and a powerdyne supercharger a 6lbs. I have raced 5 new shelbys and murdered all of them and watched one through the rearview blow up after spraying a 75shot with the supercharger. And my motor is stock with 156,000 miles. I know it will blow sooner or later but right now Im still kicking cobra ***. So don't act like these LS series motors are ****. Hell I even beat the 03-04 cobras without the supercharger and a zex100 shot. I do like my ford though it is a better built car(fit and finish), but when it comes to performance ford has always been behind.
Stock for stock
V6 camaro vs V6 mustang= Camaro wins
v6 s10 vs v6 ranger= S10 wins
z28 vs GT= z28 wins
z28 vs Mach1= z28 wins
z28 vs Supercharged cobra= Cobra wins (finally a Ford win)
z28 6psi vs supercharged cobra 03+= Z28 wins
Mustang with LS2 vs mustang gt= a jacked up win for the Ford/Chevy car

I think its odd how ford aways paired the cobra against the z28 anyway when it should have been paired with the Vette

C5 Vette vs non supercharged cobra or mach1= vette wins
C5 z06 vs supercharged cobra= vette wins

During the 35 years of the production of the Camaro the mustang has only won the match up 3 or 4 times.
I like my mustang, but Chevy owns Ford in performance!!!!
Hell guys, the cobra isn't that bad...take the KB 2.1 and bolt it on to a gt and you will be killing cobras also. I will have mine on and tuned next week. I will let you know how it goes. But I already know that a cammed camaro with supporting mods will eat my *** for lunch on 6psi.

Last edited by Swaie; 03-28-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:07 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

Originally Posted by Swaie
I am a new mustang owner and just got a GT Convertable. And I like the car but lets not be stupid. A supercharged camaro running the same amount of boost as a cobra, the camaro will win everytime. I have a 1998 six speed camaro with hooker LTs, Fast 90/90 intake combo, stock cam, and a powerdyne supercharger a 6lbs. I have raced 5 new shelbys and murdered all of them and watched one through the rearview blow up after spraying a 75shot with the supercharger. And my motor is stock with 156,000 miles. I know it will blow sooner or later but right now Im still kicking cobra ***. So don't act like these LS series motors are ****. Hell I even beat the 03-04 cobras without the supercharger and a zex100 shot. I do like my ford though it is a better built car(fit and finish), but when it comes to performance ford has always been behind.
Stock for stock
V6 camaro vs V6 mustang= Camaro wins
v6 s10 vs v6 ranger= S10 wins
z28 vs GT= z28 wins
z28 vs Mach1= z28 wins
z28 vs Supercharged cobra= Cobra wins (finally a Ford win)
z28 6psi vs supercharged cobra 03+= Z28 wins
Mustang with LS2 vs mustang gt= a jacked up win for the Ford/Chevy car

I think its odd how ford aways paired the cobra against the z28 anyway when it should have been paired with the Vette

C5 Vette vs non supercharged cobra or mach1= vette wins
C5 z06 vs supercharged cobra= vette wins

During the 35 years of the production of the Camaro the mustang has only won the match up 3 or 4 times.
I like my mustang, but Chevy owns Ford in performance!!!!
Hell guys, the cobra isn't that bad...take the KB 2.1 and bolt it on to a gt and you will be killing cobras also. I will have mine on and tuned next week. I will let you know how it goes. But I already know that a cammed camaro with supporting mods will eat my *** for lunch on 6psi.
You sir, are an idiot. Welcome to the forums, you'll fit right in!

Compare a Z06 to a Cobra. Your an idiot.
Compare a Z06 to a GT500. This is a fair race.

Wanna see how I can dip your idiocy for Ford's favor?

ZR1 vs. Shelby SuperSnake = Ford wins.
Z06 vs. Ford GT = Ford wins.
Z28 vs Terminator = Ford wins.
Chevy Aveo vs. Saleen Extreme = Ford wins.

Enjoy your stay!
Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Swaie
I have raced 5 new shelbys and murdered all of them and watched one through the rearview blow up after spraying a 75shot with the supercharger.
I watched a 04 z06 vette at the track when I saw him "blow up" from a 150 shot without a supercharger your point? and the pass before when I ran him the guy only ran a 13.4

Originally Posted by mustangcat
You sir, are an idiot. Welcome to the forums, you'll fit right in!

Compare a Z06 to a Cobra. Your an idiot.
Compare a Z06 to a GT500. This is a fair race.

Wanna see how I can dip your idiocy for Ford's favor?

ZR1 vs. Shelby SuperSnake = Ford wins.
Z06 vs. Ford GT = Ford wins.
Z28 vs Terminator = Ford wins.
Chevy Aveo vs. Saleen Extreme = Ford wins.

Enjoy your stay!
Oh... you did it now!

Last edited by Pohatu18; 03-28-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I just saw something where they dynoed a new ZR1. just over 500 at the wheels, pretty damn pathetic if you ask me considering it's rated 638. That's some hardcore drivetrain loss, i'd like to know how they rated that engine.

Quick Reply: LS2 motor in 2003 mustang... help