General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hey all, girl here needing help =)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Koni, or QA1 make really good suspension components(and certainly not the only ones). I've also heard the Edelbrock IAS are pretty good, but I dunno if they make a strut for your setup or not.

Oh and welcome to the forum, btw being a girl who works on her own Mustang, be prepared to have every single guy on this forum try to reach through their network connection and touch you.
I had Koni's up front to begin with and I'm not a fan. They were those adjustables but I didn't put them in there. I bought the car with those in it. The Koni's were leaking like it's nobody's business and I've known guys to have problems with them too. So....not a fan of Koni. Now QA1, see, when I bought a bunch of goodies last year, I decided to stay with Granatelli. I have a K-member, A-arms, the coil over kit, and a Caster Camber kit. My boil over kit suggested a few struts and I had to call the company to make sure I was buying the right ones. Regardless, just like most aftermarket bolt ons it seems, I have to modify them a bit to get them to work. Sucks......

Yesterday I pulled out my grinder and went to town on one of the struts and I grinding the freakin metal piece down for the most part and about got the coil over on it. I didn't though. No, I needed a rubber mallet and I don't have one :-) So instead, I just threw the struts in the car and sat it back down on 4 tires.

What I'm going to do, is get the car registered and inspected and then rip the front end apart because I've got a lot of work to do to it with the parts I listed and I want to get it all done this year so I can focus on other things. I know I need a throw out bearing in my clutch but I wanted to do a 6 speed conversion on the car. So, a throw out bearing will have to be part of a new clutch/flywheel the works :-) After a 6 speed, I'm going to hunt the local bone yards hopefully and get an old 5.4 block and do a swap. Has anyone done a 5.4 swap in here?

I guess that's all the news for now. Thanks for the reply and oh yeah, the warning about the guys :-)

Brenna
Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

"Bolt on" is such a load of crap. 99% of "bolt ons," bolt on after it's been hammered, welded, ground, cut, reshaped or whatever else was required to make it "bolt on."

Instead of getting a rubber mallet, get a plastic dead blow hammer. They have sand or lead shot in the head so when you whack stuff it carries the energy through, and they don't bounce back and try and blacken your eye.

And do you mean a modular 5.4? Stay away from mods unless the car came with one stock. They're not worth the hassle and money to swap them, and Ford is dropping the mod family soon anyway for a newer engine. Windsor family engines can make reliable power for reasonable cost.

Also, have you considered a TKO 5 speed instead of a 6 speed? They're cheaper and stronger(unless you get a Viper T56). If you get a TKO get one from Promotion Powertrain in FL with upgraded shift lugs/finger and the mainshaft shim kit. That'll solve the shifting problems they're known for. If you do go with a 6 speed, make sure of what your 6th gear ratio is, so you can match the diff gearing to it. Trying to cruise down the highway with a Viper blueprint T56 with a .5 6th and a stock 2.79 gear would be interesting. 5 speeds are easier to fit as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

This will help you with the swap
https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...s-of-pics.html

Why not just put a S/C on it instead of the 5.4? Or look for a wrecked '03-'04 cobra.

Last edited by Gary H; 04-28-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

"Bolt on" is such a load of crap. 99% of "bolt ons," bolt on after it's been hammered, welded, ground, cut, reshaped or whatever else was required to make it "bolt on."

Instead of getting a rubber mallet, get a plastic dead blow hammer. They have sand or lead shot in the head so when you whack stuff it carries the energy through, and they don't bounce back and try and blacken your eye.

And do you mean a modular 5.4? Stay away from mods unless the car came with one stock. They're not worth the hassle and money to swap them, and Ford is dropping the mod family soon anyway for a newer engine. Windsor family engines can make reliable power for reasonable cost.

Also, have you considered a TKO 5 speed instead of a 6 speed? They're cheaper and stronger(unless you get a Viper T56). If you get a TKO get one from Promotion Powertrain in FL with upgraded shift lugs/finger and the mainshaft shim kit. That'll solve the shifting problems they're known for. If you do go with a 6 speed, make sure of what your 6th gear ratio is, so you can match the diff gearing to it. Trying to cruise down the highway with a Viper blueprint T56 with a .5 6th and a stock 2.79 gear would be interesting. 5 speeds are easier to fit as well.
Howdy friend :-)

My car is a mod motor from the get go but it's pi converted and still a 4.6. I like the idea of a 5.4 for the torque and that's a plus ;-)

I've considered the Tremec 5 before. When it comes to gear ratios, I honestly don't understand them. I put 3.73's in the car and my rpms are screaming at 70. I used to run 4.10's but that got a little crazy with my 84 GT. What appeals to me with the 6 speed is that I had a camaro with one and the rpm's were ridiculously low at 70 in that thing. I'm kinda thinking they'd be about the same with a 6 speed mustang. If you know of a transmission that lets me drag straight through 4 gears and then gives me a 5th that runs 70mph at like 1700 rpm, let me know.

It sounds to me like you're more versed in this subject :-)

Brenna
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gary H

Why not just put a S/C on it instead of the 5.4? Or look for a wrecked '03-'04 cobra.

Hi Gary,

I've looked at procharger specifically a few times for a few other mustangs I've had and this time I've come to a state of confusion. My motor was straight out of a 2002 so I've got the PI conversion on it and a computer from 1996. So does that mean I buy a procharger designed for the 1996 Mustang or 99-04?

I don't know :-) What do you think? In the long run it could be cheaper then a 5.4 conversion. Is there anyone on this forum that's completed one of those conversions?

Brenna :-)
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gary H

Thanks for that link Gary, that was helpful :-)
Old 04-30-2009, 01:12 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

With my TKO 600 and 3.55's with a 25.6" tire I'm only turning about 2,050rpm at 70mph on the freeway. That's a .64 5th gear. Don't expect much pull in 5th gear, but that's not what it's for. The top of 4th is a tad over 140mph on the limiter at 6,600.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

With my TKO 600 and 3.55's with a 25.6" tire I'm only turning about 2,050rpm at 70mph on the freeway. That's a .64 5th gear. Don't expect much pull in 5th gear, but that's not what it's for. The top of 4th is a tad over 140mph on the limiter at 6,600.
Actually......that's really good. Those trannys are a lot cheaper then doing a full 6 speed conversion. I found a kit on line here for a 6 speed that ran over $3,000 and I'm sure I'd still have to do some fabrication to make it all work. Are there any extras you have to buy to get that tranny to work? If I remember right, they bolt right up with no issues but it's been awhile since I've done a tranny swap. I always run a duel friction centerforce clutch in all my stuff. Is there a clutch recommended for one of these monsters? Oh yeah, dumb question, does a tko 600 work in an SN95 4.6 or is it a 5.0 specific? lol

The only stupid question is the question not asked.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:46 AM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

If you do some digging you can find good deals on t56 kits. The t56 viper spec kit i bought on corral was 2000$ shipped, included bellhousing, shift fork, driveshaft, tranny (obviously) AND he threw in a clutch. Was missing the x-member though.... so i got out of it less than 2500$. Let's put it this way, if im cruising and put it in 6th at 45 mph, it wants to stall out. Thats on a stock cam with 3:73s in the back. It probably WILL stall out when i put it in my cammed cobra. Buck like a ***** at the very least. It has a .50 6th gear though.

Being that youre modular, you could find a nice t56 out of an 03/04 for cheap. keep an eye in the classifieds on corral.net, ebay, craigslist, etc. They can be had for VERY inexpensive. If you get one though, before you put it in, upgrade the input shaft. Those are the weak links in the 03/04 t56s, and it doesnt cost a ton.

As for your motor, Id just SC it and go. If you want BIG power though, you need to buy yourself a sound bottom end, then youd be able to boost the **** out of it and make your power. I'm pretty sure those 4.6 blocks can handle a bit of HP. But, if youre hellbound on building that mod motor, i'd just look for some nice 4v heads from a 99-04 cobra, or a mach one fully assembled (unless you plan on buying aftermarket cams), and all the stuff you need to get it going. You wont have to tear into your bottom end that way, and youd recoup some funds selling your PI stuff. If you want a 5.4, you might have to look online. I dont know how successful youll be trying to find one of those in a boneyard.... but everyone gets lucky.

Lastly, are you SURE those are coil-over compatible, before you get real carried away and ruin your components?

well thats my .02, hope it helps. Good luck to you.

Last edited by XPBaller; 04-30-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:31 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

They make T56's and TKOs for both the Windsors and Modulars. You just have to make sure you have the right bellhousing, cross member etc. I have a '67, so my swap required a new bellhousing. And Centerforce makes a DF for pretty much everything, that's what I run. The T56 is a better shifting transmission as well. But yeah, if you hunt around you can do either one for a decent cost.

As for power, I say stick a blower on and be done as well. Or find a good used mod motor like the Machs. If you have the bones they can even be had as crate engines from Ford for less and less these days.

Quick Reply: Hey all, girl here needing help =)