General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hey all, girl here needing help =)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

Default Hey all, girl here needing help =)

Hey everyone, my name is Brenna and tonight is my first night on the forum here.

I bought a Granatelli coil over kit for my car and have a pair of tokico non-adjustable struts for up front and I was tinking around a bit to find out that for some reason, the sleeves from the kit won't fit over this shiny metal piece on top of my strut. I have pictures here to show you what I'm looking at:

This is the strut. The strut body is blue. The shiny metal thing on top of the body is the problem. Is it called the dust shield support?

Here's my sleeve that I got with my coil over kit. The sleeve I know will fit over the body however it won't bypass the shiny metal thing on top.

Here's what happens when I try to put the sleeve onto the strut itself. As you can see, it just doesn't fit.

I don't know what the deal is. I read the instructions a hundred times and have called granatelli and made sure I bought struts that work. I'm guessing that shiny metal piece is what granatelli is calling the, "Dust shield support," and that's what I'm supposed to remove with a grind wheel or just grind it down.

I don't know, what do you guys think?

What are your thoughts?
Brenna
Old 04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
GTtony
1st Gear Member

Welcome, Im still kinda a newb my self. Luckily i went through the same problem with my Tokico shocks. If I rember right, what i did was use some silicone grease on the inside part of the dust boot that will slide onto the shock itself. now just push and rotate it onto the shock and whalla! Good luck!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Mustangbrenna84
Account Closed

I want to do something like that, but the part is just too thick and it won't bypass it. I'm guessing I need a grinder to smooth it down a little.

Wanna trade struts? Seems like you got yours to fit just fine :-P
Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 AM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

You should buy different shocks.

The tokikos will wear out wayyyy soon with coilovers, which is why when you look at most websites' coilover kits, they dont list tokiko shocks as compatible, and definitely dont list the blues..
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Fobra
Banned

looks like the wrong strut, I dont know if that is a dust cap or something that you set on top of the strut
Old 04-26-2009, 06:57 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Koni, or QA1 make really good suspension components(and certainly not the only ones). I've also heard the Edelbrock IAS are pretty good, but I dunno if they make a strut for your setup or not.

Oh and welcome to the forum, btw being a girl who works on her own Mustang, be prepared to have every single guy on this forum try to reach through their network connection and touch you.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Yes, like I said, look into another strut if you want to use that coilover kit.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

I dont know , but I like USMC's sig stang, man thats phat, can I drive it?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by domindart
I dont know , but I like USMC's sig stang, man thats phat, can I drive it?
If you don't have anything useful to add the the thread then STFU and don't post.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:15 AM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Wow, harsh lol.

Sorry but nobody has driven my car since Ive owned it but me, and Im keeping it that way.

Go vote for my car in Ride of the Month ;-)

Quick Reply: Hey all, girl here needing help =)