General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

random questions, please answer

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Pony_Power

Default random questions, please answer

Alright guys, I'm new, and the internet out here (Iraq) is horrible so searching would add 10 mins longer for a page to come up. So I think I'll just ask some questions then, k?

- What's the difference between a lx and a gt? (exterior, and motor wise)

- Is a lx a 'notch' if not then what is ?

- When I purchase my first stang, should I just get the engine rebuilt or get a crate engine? (btw money won't be an issue, but I want to stay within the 302 boundaries)

- What year did they introduce the 5 lugs ?

- What's the difference between a H-Pipe, and a X-Pipe. Why is it off road, are all the pipes off road? (other than the shape of course...)

- What adds the most horsepower to a stock 5.0 engine shorty headers or long tube headers? (basically what's the best combo shorties w/ h o/r pipe or etc...)

- If you have a cat-back exhaust system you don't need to purchase the h-pipe or x-pipe right? Or by purchasing this it frees up lose air?

- Removing the catalyctic converter from your exhaust setup adds more hp right? but it also creates that irritating bogging down noise right?

I'm sorry for this being so long, but knowledge is power!

p_p
Old 06-22-2005, 01:08 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: random questions, please answer

difference between an lx and gt- gt's had a body kit but they are otherwise identical

notch- there is no such thing as a gt notch. an lx can be had in either hatchback, convertible or notch. gt's were only available as hatches and convertibles.

don't rebuild it if it runs good. ford makes a gt-40 crate motor that pushes out like 345 hp and is a 302.

the 93 cobra r had 5 lugs but they are rare. (only like a 109 made) so the first year for 5 lug was 94.

x and h pipes give you a different sound. x pipes are usually a bit more raspy. you'll find that most 5.0 owners run h pipes although i have an x on mine. offroad (o/r) means that it has no catylitic converters. they can be had with cats too but they cost a lot more, because they are high performance cats. (free flowing)

longtubes are said to be best, but if you only have small mods they are overkill. they are more expensive and a pain to install. when picking headers make sure they are ceramic coated. (keeps the heat in the header where it belongs)

a catback system is everything from the cats back, so yes you do need a midpipe. my setup goes like this= headers, x-pipe, mufflers, dumps. i don't have a catback and that saves quite a bit of money.

removing the stock cats (4) can give you quite a bit of power but with todays high flow cats you might only loose one or two hp. all aftermarket mid pipes only have two cats, but like i said before they are expensive.

good luck.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Pony_Power

are there any mechanical differences between the lx, and the gt? if not i guess the gt was created for the younger crowd for selling purposes?

if not then i believe i will take the route of getting an lx, adding body kit to it should be cheaper right?

this gt-40 crate motor how much should it run me? where can i find it?

with the stock tranny will the gt-40 crate be to much for it? should i upgrade it for later purposes while im there?

so i guess for the 5 lugs i'll have to get a conversion kit. what's the cheapest, easiest and mot reputable way to go about this?

what types of mods do you think the long tubes would run better with?

dumps? those are tips right?

thanks for the responses

p_p
Old 06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

you can get a 5 lug convertion kit from 50resto...here is the link http://secure.50resto.com/product1.c...roduct_ID=2514 thats the kit they have
Old 06-22-2005, 06:20 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

no mechanical differences between the lx and gt. you can put a body kit on either. it really depends on whether you like a simple car or one with a little more show.

i think the gt-40 crate motor is like 3000 grand and you can find them on summitracing.com.

the stock tranny might be ok. depends on how you drive, whether you powershift, dragrace, etc.

why do you want 5 lugs? there are plenty of wheels out there for 4 lug cars.

longtubes are good for forced induction cars, but if you plan to make a lot of power than ou might as well install longtubes the first time around.

here is a pic of the dumps on my car:

[IMG][/IMG]