General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:48 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Engine Start Button

Yea, there have been plenty of people on another forum board that have done it. Some are even using a factory Ford GT start button for their project.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:18 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Now why would you need that????????????
Old 07-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

99saleen351r...

For those moments when you stall your car trying to beat that GTO, and your in a turn, and don't want to reach down and use your key to re-start the car. You just reach over and pop the button!

I think it would be funny to hook a tazer onto the passenger seat.. then tell the passenger NOT to touch the engine start button under any circumstance!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Welp, I've ordered my button. It's a whole kit actually with supposedly vehicle specific instructions. I paid a bit more than what everyone else is paying up front, but I don't have to go buy any extra parts. Total was $71 shipped.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Herknav

but since the 05 has the little chip in the ignition key....
not just an 05 thing
Old 07-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

Two ideas.

If you can find an inexpensive chip/sensor with a range of 2 yards that can enable,disable a switch, This might be a decent option. You could, in theory, stick the entire cylinder/key unit behind the dash, turn it into the run posisition, and then stick this switch in to open or close depending on whether the chip is near by. This has the nice benefit of being able to raise/lower the windows/vert top whenever you're near by. May even impress a few people when the radio pops on as you sit in the car. All you have to do to start is hit the start engine button.

The second idea is similar but doesn't require any extra hardware, just a decent amount of modification to what you've got. Remove the transponder from you key and shove it into the case of your fob next to a piece of metal that slighly protrudes from the bottom. Now relocate your key cylinder inside of your dash with just a fob sized opening visible. Cut the key off at the hilt in the run position and then shave down the plastic around it. You'd want the metal out of your modified fob to make contact to the hilt of the original key. You stick the fob in the dash and suddenly the radio/power accessories are active. Now just hit your start engine switch and your off. I've seen the fob/only no-key system in a new prius.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Aongus
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

Give the guy a break!!! He was mearly giving us instructions on how to do this to your car. He didn't say that you HAD TO DO IT OR YOU WILL DIE!!! Thank him, don't give him a hard time.

Anyways, Thanks, You should post this in the DIY forum.
By the way... you WILL die if you do not do this mod.

Thank you for your time!

-Satan
Old 07-15-2005, 11:43 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

I know they have some vehicle specific push button starters at planet performance and i know they come with instructions too.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Zincpony
1st Gear Member

does it work for 01 V6 5spd
Old 07-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

about the remote start...i think it depends on where you live whether the person you go to will put it in or not. some states might have laws about that.

but for the right price...

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button