General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

K&N Voids MAF Warranty!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:51 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

Default K&N Voids MAF Warranty!!!!

I seriously doubt this is true because i have lost all confidence in my local Ford Dealership (Vinton Motors) but...I took the car down to get the oil changed and my short shifter installed because i have never installed one before and didnt want to break anything. But while i was down there i asked him about my CAI that i had just got for my 2004 Mach1, and this is the reply i got. Does it use a K&N Filter? I said yes it does, and he replied that The K&N filter voids the warranty because of the oils that are in it. Infact most all aftermarket intake filters void the Warranty on the MAF because oils get on the wires and burn them. I SAY THIS IS FLASE!!! I personaly just dont think he wanted to fool with it because he also told me it was a waste of my time putting a CAI on a Mach1 because it flowed just the same as the stock intake so i think this guy is crazy. He is also the one that forgot to put 2 Bolts on when he installed my Headers. The only reason why i even took my car down there in the first place is because my dad has an account down there and i had no $$$ on me at the time to pay for the install. But i took the car to the place that fixed my header problem and he put it on for me in about 10 min. So just to let you guyz know this may or may not be true so i guess you can check on it if you want to.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:23 AM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: K&N Voids MAF Warranty!!!!

what is in that guys bong? can you say DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. the dude is full of BS. where is a BS flag, a big *** BS flag! go to another place.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:37 AM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Never heard of such a thing a K&N come on.Its illegal to void warrantys because of aftermarket parts, of course to an extent. you cant have cams and have your motor warrantied
Old 07-01-2005, 09:58 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Many dealerships are trying to say this now. First, Magneson-Moss, a law that protects the consumer, stating the dealership has to PROVE that whatever aftermarket part was on the car is the ACTUAL CAUSE of the problem. Print it off and keep it handy. Also go to K&N website where they talk about this and give them the dealership info. They are basically going after these dealerships to my knowledge.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:18 AM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

I went to the K&N website and sent the tech guys an email about the situation. Hopefuly i will get a response soon.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

He's right....

If you get oil happy on your K&N and it gunks up your MAf, casues it to fail or causes you're engine to grenade into 40 pieces, your warranty can legally be voided. But if your MAF fails and there is no excess filter oil on it...it's their problem...
Old 07-01-2005, 04:39 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

Here is the response i got from my email.

Dear Customer,

At this time, K&N is unaware of any evidence that K&N air filter oil from a K&N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor, regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&N takes seriously any claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate, testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors, ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&N air filter oil has not caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles. K&N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of reasons, unrelated to a K&N air filter (such as backfiring, blow by, leaking airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner. K&N has not completed any tests as to the efficacy of such a process and, therefore, does not officially endorse or recommend any cleaning process. However, if given the choice of either replacing a MAF sensor or cleaning it, K&N recommends that the consumer ask his or her automotive dealer to attempt cleaning, before replacement. It should be noted that the presence of contamination does not mean the contamination was the cause of the MAF sensor failure. Sensors can fail for electrical or mechanical reasons, unrelated to any visible contamination.

For more information about filtration and to answer any other questions you have about K&N products, please visit our website at www.knfilters.com and go to <http://knfilters.com/facts.htm> and our faq page at <http://knfilters.com/faq.htm>.

Thank you,

Leon S. Collins

K&N Technical Support

1-800-858-3333

Old 07-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: DaMach04

I seriously doubt this is true because i have lost all confidence in my local Ford Dealership (Vinton Motors) but...I took the car down to get the oil changed and my short shifter installed because i have never installed one before and didnt want to break anything. But while i was down there i asked him about my CAI that i had just got for my 2004 Mach1, and this is the reply i got. Does it use a K&N Filter? I said yes it does, and he replied that The K&N filter voids the warranty because of the oils that are in it. Infact most all aftermarket intake filters void the Warranty on the MAF because oils get on the wires and burn them. I SAY THIS IS FLASE!!! I personaly just dont think he wanted to fool with it because he also told me it was a waste of my time putting a CAI on a Mach1 because it flowed just the same as the stock intake so i think this guy is crazy. He is also the one that forgot to put 2 Bolts on when he installed my Headers. The only reason why i even took my car down there in the first place is because my dad has an account down there and i had no $$$ on me at the time to pay for the install. But i took the car to the place that fixed my header problem and he put it on for me in about 10 min. So just to let you guyz know this may or may not be true so i guess you can check on it if you want to.
Absolutely false, unless they can prove the oil from the K&N caused a specific problem, they cannot void the warranty on ANY part. The guy that made the blanket statement is a moron.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:14 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I don't know about K&N causing a MAF failure, but I cannot beleive you are paying a DEARLERSHIP to install parts for you. I can understand that you may not want/know how to put these parts on but man dealers are such crooks and thier labor rates are way too high. That and half the so-called techs at these places only know how to replace broken parts, many don't have a clue about making a car fast. *disclaimer not all techs are bad, so if you are a tech don't go jumping down my thoat, I am just talking from my experiance.*