General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

first time on slicks, tips/techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 03:22 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default first time on slicks, tips/techniques?

going to the track in just over a week and it will be the first time on slicks.
whats a good pressure to start out at? i have 25psi in the tires now while they are sitting in the garage. i have inner tubes if that matters.
i start the burnout in the water box but do i keep the tires spinning as i pull out of it just to dry them off?
the front sway bar will be disconnected (first time for that too).
sence i have an auto with high stall, i plan to bring the rpms up to 2000 for the launch....pretty good or no?

any other things im not asking that i should keep in mind?
thanks
Old 07-01-2005, 03:46 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: first time on slicks, tips/techniques?

when i went to the track on radials i would spin the tires in the box then roll out then start my burnout but to each its own, i ran about 15 lbs in the tires and i would launch at 4-5k rpms and car would stick awesomely so the higher the rpm you can launch do it
Old 07-01-2005, 07:36 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

Tire pressure really depends on your car. You should do a small patch somewhere so you can see how it lays. If the patch darker on both outside and not the middle then you need more air pressure. If it darker in the middle and you cant see the outside you need less air pressure. You just need to experiment with different pressures to get it right. I usually run around 12psi depending on the weather.
Also make sure your wheel is wide enough for the tire. On a 10.5" tire i would run a 9" wheel so it lays flatter. I also dont run tubes in my slicks because it naturally wants to have more pressure in the middle of the tire than the outsides. Thats just me though.
When you go to the track and stage the lights, try not loading the converter at all and see how your car reacts. Then try it the way your used to for a comparison. Let your car idle until the last yellow is lit and then hammer the pedal. You might see a nice change.
By the way,,,,I cant say this to my friends enough,, After you do your burnout(not too much) DO NOT DRY HOP because after your burnout the next grab of the tire is going to be the best it can give you.

Have fun and let us know what you run

Rye
Old 07-01-2005, 01:06 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

what do you mean by dry hop? stop the tires then spin again on the dry ground after the water box?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:33 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Dry hop is like a launch test. But anyway to the question at hand, I run a 10.5 slick on a 7.5 wide rim with no problems, its tubeless though. I run em at about 17-18 psi seems to hook up the best. This is on a hatch stang though, the notchbacks will require less cuz the *** is so light.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:37 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 92BOOSTED

Tire pressure really depends on your car. You should do a small patch somewhere so you can see how it lays. If the patch darker on both outside and not the middle then you need more air pressure. If it darker in the middle and you cant see the outside you need less air pressure. You just need to experiment with different pressures to get it right. I usually run around 12psi depending on the weather.
Also make sure your wheel is wide enough for the tire. On a 10.5" tire i would run a 9" wheel so it lays flatter. I also dont run tubes in my slicks because it naturally wants to have more pressure in the middle of the tire than the outsides. Thats just me though.
When you go to the track and stage the lights, try not loading the converter at all and see how your car reacts. Then try it the way your used to for a comparison. Let your car idle until the last yellow is lit and then hammer the pedal. You might see a nice change.
By the way,,,,I cant say this to my friends enough,, After you do your burnout(not too much) DO NOT DRY HOP because after your burnout the next grab of the tire is going to be the best it can give you.

Have fun and let us know what you run

Rye
That is some spot advise, lucky, do what he said, paly around with launch rpms to aee what your car likes. My Nova liked to be up hard on the convertor, my Bee did not, you just gotta play around and see.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:58 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

should i play around in a vacant lot or should i just do it while im on the track? i have a hatch so i have a bit of weight in the back so i think ill try 20psi for the first run and see how that goes
Old 07-03-2005, 09:51 PM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

Try your small burnouts somewhere you wont get caught.
You just need to figure out how much pressure your car likes.

Rye
Old 07-03-2005, 10:26 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Make sure your ready for some sloppyness on the top end cause the less pressure the worse it is.Its gonna feel like your sliding from side to side but your really not its just the slicks wobbiling ,kinda scary when you let off at over 120.Do you have your rims screwed to the tire?Cause if not you can break the valve stem off the tube unless the tube has a locking bolt or the tire is screwed on.dont spin your tires in the wayer cause it throws all th water in the wheel wells and then at the line it drips all on the tires and they spin.Just get them wet alittle then pull out and roast them up.No dry hops like they said above.Good luck man
Old 07-04-2005, 03:47 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

thanks guys, im really excited about this. going on the 9th. i cant wait to run a 60' better then 2.3[:@] that was with 2.73's spinning. i have 3.73's now so it would be impossible to launch on street tires. i dont have my slicks screwed to my wheels but the inner tube does have a lock nut to keep in in place on the wheel

Quick Reply: first time on slicks, tips/techniques?