General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Simple Car questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Crapozo

Default RE: Simple Car questions...

Alight done alot of reading now come some questions...

What is that thing that is on top of the engine, the oval thing with the lines down the side? Is that a supercharger?

Sometimes i see they are circular too.

Is this a supercharger? Where does it attach to on the engine? Like how does it get attached?

What is that plastic box on top of the engine? All the engines seem to have that.

4. What is the different in shape between a small and big block? Sometimes i hear that people can bore (what's that?) a small

block into a size that is of a big block, what does that mean?

5. What is a W block? All i know is that are inline, V, and Flathead blocks...

6. Why do so many people talk about the V8 engine as a very powerful one but don't talk about the Flathead 8 or inline 8 as

much? What makes the V8 so much better than the other configurations?

7. "1973 GTO 455" What does the 455 represent, the CC's or the Horsepower?

8. "1970 Olds 442 / 455 4 speed" What why does it have 2 bunch of numbers and a seperation? i.e 442 / 455. What does that

mean? And what's it mean by 4 speed?

9. I see some people talking about carbeurators in their high performance cars, but i have read that they were a thing of the

past and people use fuel injectors now which are better. Why do they still use carbs?

10. Is the way you tell whether a car has a 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder buy the number (1973 GTO --->455<---) ?

If someone could answer these questions, it would be very much appreciated,
Thankyou
Old 07-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

1.None of those pics of the engine have a supercharger.
2.The oval thing is just an air filter for a dual carb setup.
3.A supercharger is a turbine either twin screw or single i donno but it is driving by the pulleys, you can tell its supercharged by the whin an engine makes when reved that or look under hood and you will see either a blower on top or a turbine on the side somwhere.
4.That big thing with the 3 holes in it is just to allow more air into the carbs.
5. That plastic box is just decoration nothing more really most newer cars have it. It just covers the injectors and fuel lines mostly.
6. The 442 or 455 uassally describes Cubic inches.
7 You can usally can tell whether a car is a V8 put looking how many spark plugs it has, or in mustang whether or not it says GT on side.
8. Fuel injection isnt better really its just good economy reason, save fuel and stuff like that. Carbs are simple to use there no computer and are easy to work with and tune your self.
Too much stuff to ask me, preety sure someone else can anwser your Qs im still a noob too.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Crapozo

Thankyou for answering, u have been a great help

Question:
1.How long would it take to build your own car?
That is, buy an old one, put a new engine in, wheels, tires, redo interior, basically everything but keeping the body...
I am guessing maybe a few months?

2. If i want to build my own car, and i have near 0 knowledge of how to do this is are there like courses or something which could teach me how to do this? And where would i be able to build my own car?