General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

1964-2009 Ford Mustang Classic to Modern Engine History article

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Mustangforums Editors

Default 1964-2009 Ford Mustang Classic to Modern Engine History article

Hey guys,

The Mustang has been around for some time and has carried a multitude of different metal hearts inside that special chassis, which changed a few times as well. Which engine do you like the best? Give us some reasons around sound, performance, efficiency, and durability. How did it sit in the bay? When you popped the hood, did the sight make you feel a certain way?

What do you like to do your Mustang engine? What modifications have you made? Which engine would you like to acquire, build, or replicate?

If you missed the timeline, take a look here: https://mustangforums.com/articles/2...bocharged.html

Need more engine discussions? Check out these threads: https://mustangforums.com/forum/tags/engine.html

Thanks

Last edited by Mustangforums Editors; 07-21-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM
jshertx
1st Gear Member

Default Bring back the 5.0 and Cobra Jet option!

Originally Posted by Mustangforums Editors
Hey guys,

The Mustang has been around for some time and has carried a multitude of different metal hearts inside that special chassis, which changed a few times as well. Which engine do you like the best? Give us some reasons around sound, performance, efficiency, and durability. How did it sit in the bay? When you popped the hood, did the sight make you feel a certain way?

What do you like to do your Mustang engine? What modifications have you made? Which engine would you like to acquire, build, or replicate?

If you missed the timeline, take a look here: https://mustangforums.com/articles/2...bocharged.html

Need more engine discussions? Check out these threads: https://mustangforums.com/forum/tags/engine.html

Thanks
I grew up in the late 70's and 80's and mostly remember the the fox body mustangs. There were two pony cars that will be forever etched in my mind as king of the road, the mustang 5.0 and camaro iroc z28. With a little tweaking, both of these cars would scream down the road. My first car was a 79 camaro with 350 ci engine (my dad bought it without asking me, and since I was a poor kid, I drove it and raced it). A mustang 5.0 was always a guaranteed race, and would have been my choice for a first car. Many years later, my second mustang gt was the last of the 5.0 in 1995. I loved my red mustang gt with 5 speed, but had to sell when my daughter was born(car seat blues). I now have a 2007 mustang gt fastback, and it's power is leaps and bounds over the old 5.0. However, I think the 5.0 with the current 4.6 set up would be a beast and to replace the side gt badges with 5.0 again would be awesome. My ultimate engine would be a street legal version of the cobra jet engine with shaker hood scoop. The mighty cobra jet was the "hemi killer" back in the day, and it could rule the road once again and bury the new challenger srt 8 and camaro ss.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM
walterGT67

hey..thanks for this very useful and informative post..i really appreciate you people sharing good stuff like this..thanks a lot!!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

My uncle owned a muffler shop in the Bay area and had probably 9 old mustangs in the back that he owned. His baby was a 1969 Shelby Cobra. Gold metallic. He had it for many years until it got stolen a couple years ago.

My dad had 1970 Fastback, not a Mach1 or Boss, but was a 302, stock. He traded a 62 corvette convertible in for it. He has had it since 1971 and I got to drive it during high school after it got restored. I'm not gonna let him ever sell it, and if he does sell it, I'm the one buying it.