General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP!! See pictures...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!! See pictures...

Does your CAI fit inside the wheel well? If it does, then it's restricting your airflow. I have 2 k&N filters. Large *****'s made for the 96-98 gt. I just need to fit it onto the MAF!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:42 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

yes, and how is it restricting airflow with mandrel bent tubing?! it is colder, thus denser, out of the engine compartment so it is better for performance unless you remove your headlight with a standard mount CAI and fabricate a ram air setup.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

Restricts the airflow because of the SIZE of the filter. In order to fit in the wheel well, the filter must be small. The correct size filter (K&N) is about twice as big, and doesn't fit in the wheel well--that's why the stock ai assembly has a boot drawing air from the wheel well, but doesn't place the filter there.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:09 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

they make different size k&n filters and as long as it is a conical cotton/mesh filter it outperforms stock paper
Old 07-11-2005, 11:11 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

and stock "boot" is for silencing the air to make a more comfortable ride for the non-performance mustang owners. and yes you can fit a bigger filter in the wheel well.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:47 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

ok...I understand you're trying to defend your CAI. I found your CAI on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634

You see the size of that filter? Compare with the size of the MAF adaptor plate on the metal tube. That is a tiny filter. The filter that K&N makes for the 96-98 gt is about 2 1/2 bigger, and doesn't fit in the wheel well.

And the boot silencer is the plastic casing around the filter. The part I was talking about when I mentioned drawing air in FROM the wheel well is a conical adaptor, similar to a feminine bed pan (if you've ever worked in hospitals!) that attaches to that silencer filter cover.

I'm sorry, mate, but with your BOMZ CAI, you're losing power, not gaining it. You may have less restriction in the MATERIAL of the filter as opposed to a stock filter, but the filter is much much smaller.

If you give me the chance, tomorrow, I will take a picture of my BOMZ-style filter and the K&N filter side by side.

I don't mean to be a *****, man...As a fellow mustang owner, you are much higher on the chain of people I respect than most. ;-) Just trying to clear up that misconception.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:55 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

And if you still don't believe me, I'll give you definitive proof tomorrow: I have AutoTap OBDII diagnostics for my palm pilot. I'll give you the readings for both intake air temperature and mass air intake rate (pounds per minute) for BOTH the ebay CAI with the same filter you have, and then with the K&N filter.

My theory is this: The temperature with the K&N will probably be WARMER because the air is being drawn from inside the engine bay, rather than the wheel well, but the mass air intake rate will be a hell of a lot more, which will more than make up the difference.

I will post you horsepower and torque differences as well. As my AutoTap is for palm, alas I can't show you a graphical representation, but I'll give you the numbers. That, my friend, will be definitive proof.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 AM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

i doubt im losing power b/c the filters are same size (stock and blue cotton) side by side except the aftermarket one is a better breathing material. so id have to gain there. and the advantage of the aluminum piping is for the track- simple purpose- ice bags to chill the air more.

yes i agree, a bigger filter would be better but it would probably equal out from colder air from out of engine compartment with more, but warmer air form inside... i also have a ram air scoop down to my fog lights if it would make a difference.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:22 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

I just realized---you have a V6--that probably is why a smaller filter wouldn't make that huge a difference to you, especially if it was colder air from the wheel well. The thing with v8s is that they need to breathe more than v6s--so mass air intake rate is MUCH more important than air intake temperature (although they're both important). So, while I don't know for your car, for sure, I'm still convinced that a larger filter inside the engine bay will give me more gains than a smaller filter in the wheel well....ice bags on the metal intake tubes aside. LOL What do you think?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:31 AM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

yea i agree about the larger filter.. i wouldnt want that hot of air though.. i have outside air temp being scoop in from where the fog lights should be so i get a high rate from that and it is cold. i tried to get the best of both worlds with my outside but "ram air" setup.

Quick Reply: HELP!! See pictures...