General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Car maintenance cost help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangSarah
That was really helpfull! thanks for all the info! I changed my air filter myself. I thought the fuel filter wouldn't need to be replaced for long time, especially on newer car. I have almost 53,000 miles on my car. I'm not going to bother with it, I don't foresee any problems by not replacing it. Are car batteries pretty cut and dry when it comes to installing them, meaning if they put it in for me at autozone, can they screw up my car in any way?
Np . You only have 53K miles, wow I got 50k on my 07 lol. You don't need any of that, your car has low mileage. And if you don't have any symptoms don't bother. You could change your battery yourself its very easy. All you need is a 8mm socket to loosen the clamps. You pull out the the old battery, and you connect them back up. But if you are not comfortable, then you can have them do it. Its very simple, there is no way of messing it up, unless they hook up the terminals backwards which only a retard would do.
Only things you should worry about is your breaks, and changing your oil every 3k (or more depending on oil you use). You do flushes on fluids when they get really dirty. I would say probably at 80K-100K is good time to flush it.

Last edited by volcomchester18; 09-29-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

That was really helpfull! thanks for all the info! I changed my air filter myself. I thought the fuel filter wouldn't need to be replaced for long time, especially on newer car. I have almost 53,000 miles on my car. I'm not going to bother with it, I don't foresee any problems by not replacing it. Are car batteries pretty cut and dry when it comes to installing them, meaning if they put it in for me at autozone, can they screw up my car in any way?
Hi,

First off, good job on changing that Air Filter See it wasnt that hard was it?

I agree with what everyone else has stated in the previous posts. Some dealerships and alot of the independant shops will take alot of people for a ride, particulary women which is sad .

Most of the lube work for your Mustang can be done at any reputable lube place, which is usually included in an Oil change anyway. If yuo go there, at least ask for a brand name oil and filter.

Now for the brakes, do you feel any of the pulsation in the pedal? Some independant service shops do offer free brake inspections too. If you can take the wheel off, you can acutally measure the thickness of the rotor and see if it really needs to be replaced by cross referencing your measurements to minimal machining specs. A visual inspection is also important to see if any damage exists on the rotors surface. For the brake pads, most of the time, its pretty simple to tell how worn down they are.

For your battery, did they load test it for you? Just so you know, Autozone can do free battery and alternator testing, as well as been able to retrieve DTC's too. And yes, they will replace the battery for free.

My other only advice to you is, if you take the vehicle to a independant service shop, id advise you to ask if the technician working on your vehicle is ASE certified.

Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

At 53k miles you dont need to lube tie rods, flush steering fluid or service the induction system (AKA changing the air filter)[double charge] You can change the battery yourself also, red on positive(+) black on negative(-). Just ask someone at a autoparts store which is the correct battery for your car, they may even change it for you at no charge. Brakes arent that hard either if you are willing to give it a try. The best thing you can buy if you want to learn to work on your car is a hayes or chilton manual, they sell them at most auto stores and explain everything.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

I cant believe even the dealer wanted to charge her to lube her tie rods at such low mileage, bunch of ********
Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by volcomchester18
I cant believe even the dealer wanted to charge her to lube her tie rods at such low mileage, bunch of ********
I can't believe they quoted her $220 to do it! HOLY CRAP!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 AM
MustangSarah

Yes, I have 53K on my car, I thought that was a lot, I guess I don’t travel around that much. I do change my oil every 3K and rotate my tires. Your car is pretty sweet! Cool, I’m glad I don’t have to worry about fluid flushes until 80K. If you take really good care of your car I wonder how long it could last you.

Yes, I changed my own air filter, I can actually do something myself :::crowd cheers:::
Trust me, I’m embarrassed by how little I know. I don’t personally know anyone that knows enough about cars to help me, so I try to do my research on the internet. Everyone has been very helpful here and it’s much appreciated.

My tie rod ends are making a lot of front end noise every time I turn my wheel, it sounds really bad. I think lubing it would fix it. My brakes are making a screeching sound and I do feel the pulsating. I’ll go to autozone to test my battery. I thought there was something wrong with my battery because my starter seems like it’s struggling, maybe it’s the alternator, who knows. Just another thing to add to the darn list. I’ll try to shop around for the brake job and to lube the tie rod ends. Maybe I should get dressed up
like a man, then they might take me seriously and quote
me a lower price, ya think? :-)

Last edited by MustangSarah; 09-30-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I have 53K on my car, I thought that was a lot, I guess I don’t travel around that much. I do change my oil every 3K and rotate my tires. Your car is pretty sweet! Cool, I’m glad I don’t have to worry about fluid flushes until 80K. If you take really good care of your car I wonder how long it could last you.

Yes, I changed my own air filter, I can actually do something myself :::crowd cheers:::
Trust me, I’m embarrassed by how little I know. I don’t personally know anyone that knows enough about cars to help me, so I try to do my research on the internet. Everyone has been very helpful here and it’s much appreciated.

My tie rod ends are making a lot of front end noise every time I turn my wheel, it sounds really bad. I think lubing it would fix it. My brakes are making a screeching sound and I do feel the pulsating. I’ll go to autozone to test my battery. I thought there was something wrong with my battery because my starter seems like it’s struggling, maybe it’s the alternator, who knows. Just another thing to add to the darn list. I’ll try to shop around for the brake job and to lube the tie rod ends. Maybe I should get dressed up
like a man, then they might take me seriously and quote
me a lower price, ya think? :-)
LOL, yeah give it a try

For you breaks all you need is brake pads, and the pulsating will be fixed by them resurfacing your rotors. Thats part of the break job.

Its defenatelly not your alternator. If battery gauge is on the red (low voltage) while car is on then your alternator is bad. Otherwise you either have a week battery or faulty starter. btw- if in the morning you car struggles even more to start thats a sign of a weak battery. good luck dealing with these ********.