General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Price quote

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 02:07 AM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Default Price quote

I know you guys are going to say man a real friend wouldnt charge him but I need some cash too. My buddy needs new rear rotors,rear brake pads,rear calipers,air filter and a remanufactored starter. I went to advance auto and just parts came out to be $292.01. I told him $400 for everything and I'll do it. Hes now saying that I never charged him before( I changed his front pads and put new sparks and wires in his car) so he shoudnt have to pay me now. I told him the situation that bringing it somewhere else would charge more but whatever he wants I guess. What would be a fair price for what needs to be done?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:30 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Price quote

since he's a friend i'd say somewhere between $150 to $200.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:37 AM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

yea, give him a good deal but you cant be doing it for free
Old 07-13-2005, 04:39 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

True. Give him a good price. A real friend doesn't expect you to lay out your time for free when you need the money.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

That sounds like a pretty good deal. My mechanic who is a friend of mine charges me 20 dollars/hr. Free advice over the phone.
Charging him for doing that work is ok and he should understand that. What year is his car??? When I did the brake work, I think that it took me more than five hours to do. I think. That was because I didn't know exactly how the brakes were set up on the stang.(First time working on them). He should understand that you are charging him and charge him fair.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:51 PM
gettna05!
2nd Gear Member

Call the shops in your area and charge him half the average price. That is fair. HE is not being fair expecting you to do all his stuff for free. If he whines about it, find another "friend".
Old 07-13-2005, 06:31 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Yesterday he said he was going to get one of his other friends to do it for free and now today hes saying that the other friend cant do it and im the only one who can, but he still wants me to do it for free. I told him that it wasnt going to happen and now hes all pissed off. Even his mom was like you did it for free last time why should he have to pay you. HAHAH O well, it'll just be funnier when the revits eat away into the rotors and his car wont start when his starter calls it quits. He'll come back to me asking me to do the job because shops want like $600 for it.Then I'll have to jack the price up a bit.hahha, good times.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:44 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I am sorry but that is Bullshat right there. I cannot believe he thinks you should waist a whole day working on his car and get nothing in return. It's not like you are doing somthing fun like putting a blower on it. I would tell him to pay or F-off
Old 07-13-2005, 06:52 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Does this guy do stuff for you for free? If he helps you out a lot for free then yea he deserves the same in return.

And is he there helping you do the work on his car? If he was doing most of the labor with your tools and you were more around for technical assistance then that's a different story too. But if he drops his car off, tosses you the keys afer YOU fetch the new stuff from the parts store, then yup charge away for labor
Old 07-13-2005, 10:09 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Yep, he said he would pay for the parts if I go pick them up and then he would drop his car off at my house.He doesnt even know how to change his oil. He wasnt planning on learning how to do the repair it or anything. I was pretty pissed off at him and said that he doesnt deserve to drive a mustang so then he got all pissed off. I just got back from his house today and guess what he said.....He said that he really needs his car to be fixed so he's gonna pay me but he said he doesnt have enough money to pay for labor so I should pick up his car and go pick up the parts then he will pay me back later....hmmmm I've been friends with him for about 8 years but come on man, you dont exspect me to believe that when he doesnt even have a job.It's all F'd up.

Quick Reply: Price quote