General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cricket in my engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by hiboostwoody
Could be (and most likely is) your tensioner but could also be pretty much anything else that the belt runs. Your best bet is to get a mechanics stethoscope and CAREFULLY probe around on different things when you first start the car to see where it is coming from. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! It would be very easy to lose a body part since you are messing around with spinning pulleys and belts. Not to mention getting the stethoscope hung up and having it slap you upside the head or shot across the garage/driveway like a bullet.

If it is the tensioner, or pretty much anything else, you can get them at the nearest auto parts store. As for tools, you usually don't need anything special EXCEPT for a serpentine belt tool.
agreed and it can happen to stangs with only 6K miles on them too....mine was the idler pulley.....didn't start until after the install of the S/C
Old 10-31-2009, 10:57 AM
01ragtop

what pulley are you guys referring to as the idler pulley. Are you talking about the extra pulley added with the supercharger that connects to my alternator? Or are you talking about the extra pulley just above the a/c compressor to complete the serpentine?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

The idler pulley will be the stationary one on the front of the engine that isn't attached to any accessory. It doesn't run anything. Just bolted to the front of the engine. Probably the extra pulley you are talking about.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM
01ragtop

so if it is my idler pulley, what do i need to do to fix the problem?

Do i need a completely new pulley?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 PM
mike castaldo
2nd Gear Member

what kind of oil you use.. do you drag race it.. reason i ask is i had the same thing.. do you got mods.. if so.. it may be what mine was.. the lash adjusters.. check back with me..

sorry did see your SIG.. da
Old 11-01-2009, 01:44 PM
01ragtop

I was thinking it might be my lashers also, just trying to think of all the possibilities. The has 85,000 miles though and I've run Royal Purple 5W20 in it ever since I got the car with 15,000 on it. I've changed the oil and filter every 5,000 miles religiously. The procharger went on the car at about 60,000 miles and the chirp started at about 80,000 miles.

I don't think it's my lashers though because the chirping is much louder from underneath the car as opposed to being above it. That's why I was thinking it might have been my a/c compressor clutch, but my ilder pulley is directly above that and with the direct load increase beneath it, it could be the reason as to why my idler pulley is chirping.

I think I might be leaning towards the ilder pulley though because one of the mounting points for the procharger bracket is the bolt for the idler pulley.

Anybody else have any ideas or come across this issue?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:03 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

If it's the idler pulley, you can get a new one from any auto parts store for not a lot of money. They are usually pretty easy to change but I'm not sure about yours because of the supercharger. If you do change it, you might want to think about putting on a new serpentine belt since you will have to take it off anyway.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:23 PM
emBOSSed

Default Squeak when cold

I too have devolped a squeak. I have replaced the belt, the tensioner and pulley, all the idler pulleys, I have a magnacharger on mine so I even replaced the idler that is added in that kit, and finally the alternator. Still there! ****. HELP? Could it be the cupercharger? I have about 30K on the unit and 40K on the car itself.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:00 PM
athansor007

I got rid of my bird by changing the tensioner pulley and the belt (Dayco). But now I can hear a soft whirring metallic sound in the idler pulley. When I tried to remove the bolt on that one, I couldn't get it to budge - now I am afraid to try - I don't want to break it off. I have been turning CCW (2006 V6 4.0) because I figured the bolt has to be unbolted the reverse of the pulley rotation. I have PB Blaster coming today so I can soak it and try again, but anyone have any suggestions other than that? Is it worth it. I have never used the stuff - do I need to spray in front and behind the bolt?

I am a new DIY mechanic and don't think I am capable of getting a broken bolt out of whatever this is bolted to......(also I am a woman :-) , so I may be thinking I am putting too much pressure when it isn't really enough - I thought the tensioner was frozen in place until I got a long enough breaker bar). Just a little timid - want to make sure I don't make anything worse.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Considering your RPM drop the A/C compressor is a safe bet. If the bearings in the pulley are going bad the engine may not be properly compensating for the extra load put on it when the compressor is engaged.