General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

whats wrong with my rear end?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 03:49 PM
sniper6

Default whats wrong with my rear end?????

ok so a few months ago i installed a stereo in my car(right after i bought it). its only 2 12" kicker L5's with a 2500watt amp...between the boxs and amp its MAYBE 100LB's TOPS. so just a few days ago i was looking at my car with my brother and i knowticed that the passanger rearend looked like it was sitting lower then the front. my brtoher told me that its because i put the stereo in it and its makin the car sag....i took that and thought about putting a good set of springs in it(steeda) and hope that it fixes it. last night i had a bunch of friends over and we were looking at it more and realized that the passanger wheelwell gap is like 1" while the driver side is like 4". (you can stick your whole arm in the diver side, and cant even get your fingers in the passanger. so we started looking at it from the back real close and you can see the car tilting to the passanger side. so now im like WTF???? the dealer "forgot" to tell me that the car had been in a accadent. I found this out waxin the rear and saw all the runs and the crappy paint job on it. so now i have no idea whats wrong with it. are my shocks blown? axle messed? the car drives fine, dont pull or nuttin. what do i do???

sorry that was so long
Old 07-16-2005, 03:55 PM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: whats wrong with my rear end?????

Best case scenario, just shocks...maybe springs but I dont know what year you have?? Worst case scenario, your frame is bent. My 90 Mustang started getting the sag on the passenger side and just needed shocks, but my buddy had a jeep with frame damage and it also sat like that. He took it to some guy in Noblesville who straightened it pretty cheap. I wanna say like $250, and it was perfect after that. No lean and no more problems. If you bought it from the dealer and they didnt disclose that it was in a major accident and has frame damage, you can make them take the car back. Illegal!!
Old 07-16-2005, 04:14 PM
sniper6

never thought about the frame being bent...if thats the case someones getting shot[sm=bangbang.gif]
my stang is a 2002 GT with 24,000miles. I didnt thing that something that "new" would be all banged up if its being sold by a reputable ford car dealer. is that something you can just take to any shop and have them tell you if its the frame or the springs/shocks.
I wanna lower the car anyway, so maybe i'll just do that and see what happens
Old 07-17-2005, 06:21 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

that could be alot of stuff. Spring might be part way out. I dunno. If you can't tell what's wrong by looking at it, take it back to the dealer and make them fix it.

It's probably not going to be as simple as a shock though. Who knows. Maybe the car has lowering springs and they replaced a damaged one with a stock spring.

Are the front wheel gaps the same on each side?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:46 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sniper6

never thought about the frame being bent...if thats the case someones getting shot[sm=bangbang.gif]
my stang is a 2002 GT with 24,000miles. I didnt thing that something that "new" would be all banged up if its being sold by a reputable ford car dealer. is that something you can just take to any shop and have them tell you if its the frame or the springs/shocks.
I wanna lower the car anyway, so maybe i'll just do that and see what happens
Do yourself a favor. Got to carfax and get it's records. You'll find out everything from how many owners had it to how often it was serviced to how bad this accident was. It'll cost you $20 but trust me it's worth it. Then print it out and take it to the Ford dealership you bought it from and demand they fix it. Threaten them with legal action if nessacary. Obviously this was a shady deal, a car leaning that bad did no way in hell pass inspection witch all certified preowned cars need to do and all registered (street legal!!!) need to do. Do whatever it takes and get them to diagnose and fix the problem. It has notthing to do with any sound system especially a relatively small setup such as yours that is balanced (apparently throughout the trunk). even if both kickers and the amp were on the passenger side it wouldn't lean that much. Make sure everything checks out before you lower a car with a bent frame and royally **** youself when trying to get the dealership to fix it. What they did is blatinly illegal and you should not be held responsible.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:45 PM
sniper6

yupp, one box(35lbs) on one side of the trunk, the other on the other. amps inthe middle(maybe 15lbs). I just ran car fax and it said its clean. nadda, nothing.....but the paint runs on the rear bumper front fender, and the really bad curb checks on ALL of the rims, and the fact that when you pop the trunk that space in the middle is rough as hell due to overspray(im a painter my self so i know what im looking at). and i'v realised that even though the passagerside IS lower, the whole rearend sits lower then the front. when you look at the car its like lookin at a ol' 1982 comaro with the rear springs shot...you know what i mean, the *** looks like its draggin. I am going ot call the dealer tomarrow and see what they say.
thanks for the help everyone
Old 07-17-2005, 04:49 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

did it look this ****ty when you bought it? lol
Old 07-17-2005, 07:28 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Dude its probably something small alot of stangs get hit.It could be the stereo is the weight distributed even?Make sure it is cause if you bring it to them and its that your gonna feel like an idiot.If its not the stereo tell them to look at it and see whats up
Old 07-17-2005, 07:56 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

yupp, one box(35lbs) on one side of the trunk, the other on the other. amps inthe middle(maybe 15lbs).
read dammit lol
Old 07-17-2005, 10:21 PM
sniper6

auggg..this is the part i hate. I bought it durin the winter and im kinda new to the whole buying a car thing. so I just thought that i reputable car dealer would not ripp you off like that. so no, i didnt even look for it. i work so much i really dont have time to go over the tiny little details upuntill winter broke. I started to see the rearend was "saggin" it was just the other day i realized one side was sitting lower. but like i said, carfax came back clear. yes the weight is even in the trunk. i dunno

Quick Reply: whats wrong with my rear end?????