General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mustangs bad for winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 AM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

+1 on snow tires and weight in the back, takes it easy on the throttle and youll be just fine
Old 11-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Last winter, I pretty much mastered the art of snow drifting in my explorer. Lol, people constantly giving me thumbs up's out their windows and stuff. But at the same time, i've busted out a headlight in a snowbank before and ended up in front yards multiple times. I've been driving about the same amount of time you have. SUVs are obviously more suited for snow driving but you get the hang of it fast. As long as you don't go panicking and slamming the brakes every time the rear end slips a little bit, you'll be fine. You just have to be confident and spend some time being extra cautious learning your car's limits. Everyone's telling me sand in the trunk is a must. More weight in the back for traction and if it comes down to you being stuck somewhere, you can sprinkle the sand around the rear wheels to help you get out. My grandfather has studded snows for his stang and he says he couldn't get it to slip even if he wanted to. Idk how true that statement is, or how expensive they are, but they probably help a lot too. Personally, I can't WAIT till there's a nice layer of snow on the streets.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:34 PM
LittleMisses

Great advice everyone! I honestly, truly appreciate it. I am still undecided but you all have cleared up some of my misconceptions and given me much to think about. I have seen some good deals on mustangs that include snow tires and am excited to take it for a test drive! I'll be ready to purchase within the next couple of weeks but plan on taking my time choosing..my 2nd choice was a ford escape or explorer..soo i'll have much debating to do! Once again thanks everyone!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:37 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

I have driven two different ones for four years in the winter. It doesn't snow here but the car does fine.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by silverstang23
I have driven two different ones for four years in the winter. It doesn't snow here but the car does fine.
haha, if it doesn't snow, what difference does it make what season it is? In this case at least.

And, go with the mustang. It's worth a little bit of winter carefulness, trust me. You'll agree after you test drive one. You gonna try out a 2010?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

I drive mine year round but was also brought up on rear wheel drive cars. With and without locking rear axles. Snows on all fours for much improved braking and steering. Acceleration in the snow is convienient but not that important in terms of saftey.

Our other daily driver is a big front wheel drive Buick Park Avenue. Not only is it much more stable on the highway in the snow. It's almost hard to get it to slide out. The Mustang is a two hander in a snow storm, Buick almost makes me fall asleep.

If you have any doubts about driving a rear drive in the winter with no experience. I respect your concerns and would recommend against it.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

RWD is fine in the snow IMO; cops, cabs, commercial vans/trucks, beamers, mercedez (basically all luxury cars) are all RWD.

FWD or AWD will get stuck in the snow as well if the snow is deep enough.

(-;

I got stuck twice in my girls 06 Sentra, I was suprised. Not only that but I nearly wrecked on the highway after hydroplaning and going sideways! So much for FWD being safer lol.

AWD is best, but RWD isn't as bad as alot the people gasping after I tell them I drive my mustang during the winter.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 PM
mstangblue123

had a buddy with an 05/06 AUTO mustang and he did fine in indiana snow with weight in the trunk......I personally think you might be better off in an auto
Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Robobble
2nd Gear Member

yeah, auto would definitely be better for snow.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Choppa
3rd Gear Member

sand bags and tires are a definite plus but ultimately it depends on the driver period

go in a parking lot the first snow and find the limits of ur car and ur ability so u kno how to respond in certain situations i.e. how much gas, when to accelerate out of a turn, braking distance, that stuff get comfortable with it and u wont have a problem then once youve practiced the techniques put em to use and drift the **** out of that lot

Quick Reply: mustangs bad for winter driving?