General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convetible Top Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:57 AM
pale340

Default Convetible Top Replacement

Hey was wondering if anyone has changed a convertible top on a 95 mustang? If so, how hard is it? Is it something I could do myself or must I pay those incredible high labor cost that the shops are wanting to charge? Also, what is a good vendor for a quality top? It seems there are several places selling them. Thanks
Chuck
Old 07-20-2005, 03:26 AM
foxbox

Default RE: Convetible Top Replacement

defintiley worth the labor charges. its really hard to put a top on a car, unless you have experience its definitley not worth all the stress and frustration
Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I have seen a diy job and was not impressed. I am going to need one fairly soon and will definitely have the pros do it. Not only that, I get a 5-6 year warranty and if I have a problem they will have to fix it.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:30 AM
sarahsmustang
1st Gear Member

I put the new top, glass rear window with defrost, and new cables on my daughters 95 stang. I bought a instructional cd of EBAY.

A friend of mine and me took all the old off and 60% installed the new one in one day. I finished the install by myself on the second day.

The cd helped. It wasn't all that difficult. Like anything else, have some help, take your time, be patient.

tas
Old 07-21-2005, 12:41 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

You must need a few special tools to do a top job on a vert? How many years are these things supposed to be good for anyway? Unfortunatly I have no garage, so my Stang is outdoors all the time, I guess that don't help the roof.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:17 AM
powerkord
2nd Gear Member

Theres actually a book you can order from mustangs unlimited specifically on mustang top replacement, im eventually going to buy it, my 95 has a few small tears that are leaking into the trunk and its starting to smell, so I should be doing it soon Ill post here how much it helped me.

Also remeber to do it right, all you really need is to show a little patience, Ive done some very difficult work on some of my old cars, and it turned great all cause I took the time to look at what I was doing. The other DIY jobs that dont look right were prob just rushed too much, and for that they payed the penalty and now their car sucks.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:30 AM
CIZ58
1st Gear Member

my top is getting replaced tomorrow
the glass in the back seperated from the bottom of the window after a snow storm piled too much snow for it to handle after its 10 year stint
yea...it was awhile ago, im cheap
Old 07-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

You must need a few special tools to do a top job on a vert? How many years are these things supposed to be good for anyway? Unfortunatly I have no garage, so my Stang is outdoors all the time, I guess that don't help the roof.
My understanding is that they are warranted for 5-6 years depending on the manufacturer. If it's garaged, longer. But I am like you, no garage due to a boat sitting in it.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:43 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

I have a 95 vert and had the top replaced. I purchased the top from off ebay from somebody (got a good deal compared to what the local shops charge) then had a local shop install. It costed around 200 or 300 or so to install and had it back the same day i dropped it off. I have seen "home" installations and was way to tight to put top up...i didnt want to deal with it. If something were to go wrong w/ the installation, the shop will replace it. If i do it and screw it up, double the cost and nothing to show for it.....