General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Mustang HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:31 PM
GTstang18

Question Mustang HID problem

I just got the HID kit for my 05 GT. I have a problem with the left headlight. When i start the car and turn on the lights, all is fine. But after a few minutes of driving, the left headlight just shuts off. It does this over and over. I have checked all the wires, the ballast seems fine. I don't know what the deal is or what i did during the installation.

Any ideas? Please help. It is so embarrassing driving at night with HID light working.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 04:53 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

i think you need a relay,my car didnt need one but my friends did,it goes from your battery to the ballasts, either that or a bad bulb maybe
Old 12-20-2009, 04:54 PM
GTstang18

The kit didn't come with a relay. Can i buy a relay just by itself?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:17 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Hi and welcome. You may want to, or get this post move to the tech section for further assistance.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

go on ebay you can get a relay kit for like 9 bucks.

swap your ballasts around, move the left to right and the right to left. see if your right side cuts off or if your left side still cuts off. if your right side cuts off i'd say your ballast is failing. if your left side cuts off then i'd say you have a wiring problem somewhere (could be wires burning [which is why you should use a relay kit] or loose wires).
Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 PM
GTstang18

Ok, i switched the ballasts and the same light still goes out while driving. The left one. So it's not the ballasts just something to do with the wiring? Does this mean i need a relay wire?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:01 AM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

yeah,from my understanding the relay is used because the car doesnt have enough power to supply both ballasts, so one is getting more than the other,i geuss it has something to do with the wattage and type of vehicle because i have 2 sets and neither need a relay but i know a couple people that needed it.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTstang18
Ok, i switched the ballasts and the same light still goes out while driving. The left one. So it's not the ballasts just something to do with the wiring? Does this mean i need a relay wire?
try switching the bulbs and see if the problem moves to the other side
Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 PM
arbs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by forcefeed
try switching the bulbs and see if the problem moves to the other side
yeah youre right. and maybe the relays might work. but then again, what if its just a faulty ballast, igniter or bulb?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:40 PM
forcefeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by arbs
yeah youre right. and maybe the relays might work. but then again, what if its just a faulty ballast, igniter or bulb?
i have installed a few of these kits and never seen one with a relay for each side, start with the simple things, process of elimination swap the ballast's then the bulbs.

Quick Reply: Mustang HID problem