General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ebrake cable help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

Default Ebrake cable help

A few weeks back my ebrake cable on my 06 GT seemed to slip. It had a "dead-zone" where when the ebrake was off the lever would move about an inch or so up when pulled before the brake would start engaging. This was no big deal as I simply tightened the cable up and it was good to go, but now it has the same issue.

I'm in PA so obviously it is freezing so I'm thinking that is the reason for the slipping, but does this sound like a simply cable slip or is it something more like the cable stretching/breaking imminent?

Should I just tighten it up again or is there a consequence for repeatedly tightening it every month or so?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Get under the car and do a visual inspection. See if there is any breakage or unraveling in the cable. Check the connection points also. This will tell you what to do from that point.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Silver_Pony
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem with mine a few weeks ago and now my brakes are shot. I have it in th shop right now they said it was a "ford recommendation" to get the cable replaced should be a recall in my opinion pisses me off...its 200 bucks outta my pocket + my rear brakes and rotors
Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
pkwest
1st Gear Member

As said above, check the cable for any fraying where the three cables meet below the trans tunnel. Also remove the rear wheels and make sure the cable moves freely on both sides when someone moves the ebrake lever up and down. The cables on the s197 mustangs are notorious for getting rusted and frozen because of moisture getting into the cable housing with no way out. Maybe some day someone will make a stainless steel replacement.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Silver_Pony
I had the same problem with mine a few weeks ago and now my brakes are shot. I have it in th shop right now they said it was a "ford recommendation" to get the cable replaced should be a recall in my opinion pisses me off...its 200 bucks outta my pocket + my rear brakes and rotors
Should have replaced them yourself. Much cheaper and easy as pie to replace. The old drum brakes were a lot more work than disks are.