General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery Drain NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 03:25 PM
charlesford

Default Battery Drain NEED HELP

Hey everyone,

I just joined this forum because my dad does a lot of forum chatting for the many BMWs we own and he gets a lot of help. I have a 1984 Mustang 3.8L V6. I've got a mean drain someplace and need some suggestions. I have an aftermarket CD player installed before I got the car. Thinking this may be the problem I disconnected the power sorce from the deck. This didn't stop the drain, however and I was wondering what else it could be. I know it could have something to do with my alternator. There's a wire that's frayed connecting to the starter cylenoid but that's "power on demand" so it probably wouldn't drain overnight. If I don't use the kill switch that's on it overnight it only takes about 4 days for the battery to totally die. The kill switch cuts off power to the whole car so it just makes it that much more frustrating to pinpoint this problem. I could just take it to the Auto Electric place but that's expensive and I don't want to pay until I have to! Any information you guys could provide would be VERY HELPFUL

Thanks,
Charles
Old 07-22-2005, 03:31 PM
jaykav99

Default RE: Battery Drain NEED HELP

Anything else hooked up inside ur car radar, extra portable cd player. I had an 87 mustang and those kind of things would not turn off when i turned the car off.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:35 PM
charlesford

Not that I know of.. Unless power is still going to the deck even though it's unplugged but that shouldn't be right?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:44 PM
jaykav99

no it shouldnt, but i belive its possible if some wire is crossed a certain way. But before you go ripping out ur deck id wait a while see if some of the guys that are better under the hood give any suggestions.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:31 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

my friend had a very similar problem:

He just bought an Alpine aftermarket head unit...the rest was bone stock and he suddenly had a "mean power drain". He was all pissed cuz he was sure it was his new head unit but then he took it to the mechanic and they said it was his alternator. The problem is is that if you can start your car and then you have a power drain it's probably your alternator because that's what charges the battery while you drive around. However I am unaware of the condition of your mustang....you may need a new battery. The LAST thing that would be the primary cause of the power drain would be your new head unit.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:52 PM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

Sounds like your battery sucks. Get a new one. It will work then.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:44 PM
charlesford

The battery was purchased December 14th of last year.. But in this Texas heat they say they're the first thing to go. I went to AutoZone to get it checked but the guy's battery reader thing was broken. I guess I'll go to Sears I hear they do it for free.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:12 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

I doubt it's the battery if it's a power DRAIN...meaning power is initially there from the battery but it is not charged...by the alternator
Old 07-22-2005, 06:57 PM
charlesford

Ok so I just got my battery and alternator checked out and the guy said they're both ok. what he says is probably wrong is I have a short someplace. So now I have to get to the fuse box. Anyone have any idea how to get to the fuse box on an 84' mustang??
Old 07-22-2005, 07:00 PM
jaykav99

i think one is at ur feet inside the car and maybe another under the hood. Maybe its time to check out ur headunit

Quick Reply: Battery Drain NEED HELP