General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Lights flashing after battery change!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:20 PM
aauman

Default Lights flashing after battery change!

Battery died in my '95 last week. Went and got a new one and swapped it out. Glad I had my keys in my pocket, all the doors locked when the new one was installed. Now parking lights, blinkers, and taillights flash for about a minute at random times. They flash when the doors get opened unless you crank it right up. They flash when you get out of it whether the doors are locked are unlocked. I bought the car two years ago and don't know if it had some sort of alarm or keyless entry but I haven't found anything and I don't have a remote. I also noticed the center clock flashes with the lights. Surely its some kind of anti-theft I screwed up when I changed the battery but I sure don't know how to fix it. Any help appreciated!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 PM
aauman

Default update to lights flashing

Just an update. Had more time to look today. If you open door parking lights, blinkers and taillights blink for thirty seconds. If you touch the brake pedal it starts again. There is a silver toggle switch under the dash that is mounted on the fuse box. It looks factory but not sure. I do not see any kind of black button like I've seen talked about in other threads. Still looking for some help on this one. Don't really need to go to the dealership right now. Thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

It does sound like some kind of alarm system, but not any that I know of. Have you tried flipping the switch to see what happens?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

To my knowledge, for has never mounted a toggle on the fuse box. Odds are, you have a hidden alarm brain somewhere. The best thing to do is follow the wires from that toggle and see where they lead. It may just be an ignition kill switch. Most, if not all alarms flash the lights so that is just another data point that leads to an alarm install. Is there an alarm horn under the hood?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Try unlocking the passenger door first and see what happens. If it still happens, you probably have a bad alternator. A bad battery can knock out an alternator so it's possible that yours is bad. That would be why the lights flicker when you step on the brakes. The alternator is having trouble with the extra load that the brake lights adds.

Last edited by hiboostwoody; 01-31-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
aauman

Default It's got an ALARM!

Followed wires from toggle and found alarm brain under hood. It has wiring diagram on it and a model # al-430 but no brand name. I have had this car for two years and did not know it had an alarm until I changed the battery. I have it unplugged now until I can find a remote clicker for it. I have done a search with the model # of the brain and don't come up with anything, does anyone know what brand it could be?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Might be best to just remove the alarm system since it has gone haywire. They offer a false sense of security anyway. How many times have you run to a car that had its siren blaring to see if it was being stolen? Probably zero like the rest of us. They are more trouble than they are worth.