General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drive during the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:58 AM
MuStAnG4eVeR

Default RE: Drive during the winter?

Well, it looks like I'm goin for a Truck for my first car...I really wish I could get a stang..but the winters are just to..well..what they are supposed to be. 4x4 truck seems to fit me right now..that is..until I can afford to cars.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:12 AM
T1H5ON
1st Gear Member

mustangs suck in the winter! Get a crapper to drive in the winter.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:00 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: orion6g

Oh, and just as a reply to Deannostang's post, front wheel drive cars are safer in the winter than rear wheel drive cars, you just have to know how to drive them. If you lose the front end of a front wheel drive car and feel like you are going to spin or even just slide sideways, all you have to do is let off the gas, countersteer, pull the e-brake to align the back wheels with the front again and then let off the e-brake and let your wheels start spinning again. You can get out of things in a rear wheel drive car, but you have a better chance of ending up in the other lane. Front wheel drives also pull your car through corners as opposed to rear which want to spin you around, thus you can drive faster with a front wheel. Take it from a Canadian, front wheel drives are safer, but rear wheel is a whole lot more fun .
that's backward dude. the FWD cars pull you through more stuff because of the weight of the engine on the drive wheels but it is common knowledge that rear drive is safer and handles better. That's why all cop cars are rear drive.

Back to the point of this post.....I drive my car all winter with good snow tires on it. All season tires are junk!!!!! they are NO season tires.....crappy in the snow and crappy in the heat [:'(]

Buy summer and winter tires.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:23 PM
lrall
2nd Gear Member

but some CHEAP CHEAP car, like an old subaru or something, AWD is great in the snow.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

I love this post, man! Good to hear from some of our more northern members. All these comments, including my own, are based solely on personal experience. MikeHawke hit the nail on the head about the cop cars. They both handle better at high speed and in crap weather than front wheel drive cars. You just have to have the right set-up for real winter driving as well as real summer driving....thank you, agian, MikeHawke. The cops have totally different rubber for winter than summer.

Bottom line, your personal driving technique in winter weather is far more important than what you drive. I see every winter here in Upstate New York 4-wheel drive SUV's off the road and sometimes upside down. You can spin off the road in the right conditions no matter what you drive! Most dumb SOB's that hog the road with their expensive, overweight SUV's don't really have a cue how to drive under ANY conditions, let alone snow. You just slide off the road with 4 wheels spinning instead of 2....BFD. If any of you Mustang doubters out there tried the Tire Rack method of matching winter wheel/tire combinations in the bad winter weather, I think you would be shocked how good the Mustang is capable of handling. BUT, you always need a soft foot on your pedals and have to learn to TAKE IT EASY.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Fat Nick
I ♥ Acer

Drove mine with bald tires in the ice. All of the sudden started doing it while I was at work. Needless to say once you get them going and you go 10-15mph you're alright. Don't go much faster so if you do wreck it it's not hurt as bad. I did have to stop for a redlight and got stuck through 8 cycles while burning the tires having the car eventually at a 90deg. angle blocking both left turn lanes.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:57 PM
yeayea0
2nd Gear Member

It absolutely sucks in the snow and ice, but put some sand bags in the trunk and you'll get from a to b.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:09 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

i dont drive my stang in the winter.
see where i live at? we get too much snow and the salt can destroy your car.

i put mine up on Nov. 1st and get her out in April
Old 07-28-2005, 08:43 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

i dont drive my mustang in the snow unless the roads arent too bad, id rather not risk the salt damage to my paint or some idiot driver's car to my paint