General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mustang for Me, a dream shattered?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:04 AM
TheMustang000

Question Mustang for Me, a dream shattered?

Hey all! There is a lot to say but its important to know the whole situation and would be greatful to get some suggestions.

I'm in my early 20's and the last 6 years and counting my dream car has been a Ford Mustang. To most cars on the road it just doesn't compare. I have always thought about getting one until this Winter..

I live in Chicago weather which can be brutal sometimes. Just a few weeks ago I was driving a FWD car and (no matter what type) it was my fault, I misjudged a turn I didn't know that was there and also foolishly accelerated while overturning and had the car go straight above a curve and the front wheels got caught in snow. I have been driving for a while and for the most part know what I'm doing. I learned a good lesson and hopefully will never have that happen again. (The car wasn't damaged perfectly fine, so it wasn't that extreme). It did shake me up quite a bit, but I'm gaining my driving confidence again.

Anyways, ever since then.. I have done a lot of research on winter driving and came to a conclusion that people say that Mustangs are one of the worst to drive in the winter and RWD is even worse than FWD. I really don't want to believe this, but I sadly have looked at other cars like Honda Civic, Dodge Caliber, Ford Focus and a few others. Also some people say it has a lot of torgue so it would be bad in the snow/ice.

I really want to keep the dream of a Mustang alive.. I am buying used and most Mustangs are a lot cheaper than the cars I am looking at above! for just purchasing not including insurance.

My one solution right now is put some snow tires when the weather start gets in its snow mood for a few months, but I still don't know how it will do? I am going to try and learn, but is it hard to change tires yourself and how long does it take?

I am not really fond of the idea of putting sand in the trunk which I have read about, but trying my best to come up with something.
I'm curious what some other options.
But it makes me nervous that RWD can swerve the car from behind and FWD I read can't do that. So, how are they different when your car skids in the winter? Maybe someone can explain some advice too about this. I know I should really know hah I have a good idea for FWD but not RWD

I appreciate any help I can get, thanks!

Last edited by TheMustang000; 02-21-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:35 AM
cmcz450

FWD cars are better in snow because they have all the weight of the engine pushin down on the tires thus giving it better traction. any RWD car will be squirrely, because there in no weight back there. It may not be possible for you, but you could sell what you have get a 4x4 n also have your mustang for the nicer days.....i am a few hours south of ya and i feel ya on all the snow this year except i have a truck with 37's so i have no traction problem lol
Old 02-21-2010, 05:02 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

FWD cars are better for the average driver because the vehicle is being puleded straight ahead. This is in contrast to a RWD car that is being pushed. The back end of the car will have a tendency to go sideways, which is why you would have to countersteer in that situation.

As a general rule- FWD will understeer and RWD will oversteer. Now, BOTH can be dangerous. Having a car that won't turn can be just as dangerous as having a car that wants to get sideways.

FWD cars are better in snow because they have all the weight of the engine pushin down on the tires thus giving it better traction.
This statement is incorrect, because it does not take into account the vehicles physics or dynamics. There are plenty of RWD cars that have 50/50 weight distribution, and possibly more so when moving through the air. Also, under acceleration, the weight of the car is thrown back to the rear. Talk to any knowledgeable FWD drag racer, and he will explain the traction limitations.

Finally, I have driven my Mustang through deep mud and sand on many occasions and find it much less 'squirrelly' than other RWD cars I've driven. Most GT models come with a factory LSD that will help with maintaining traction. PLUS, the GT also comes with factory Traction Control with limits wheel spin. Both will help you maintain traction on loose or wet surfaces. Also, if you live in an area where it constantly snows through the winter, I would suggest getting dedicated winter/snow tires. Essentially, you would run two different sets of wheels and tires depending on the season.

Good luck and keep the dream alive!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:41 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I grew up driving Mustangs year round in North Dakota and Minnesota. It's all in how you drive the car when the snow starts coming down.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

I dont nessecarily see mustangs as bad cars on ice and snow. While driving on it I never or if anything barely squirel the rear end it ONLY happens when im alone in my neighborhood on the way home(something about sliding threw the neighborhood gets me all giggled up).

Im from oklahoma we get little snow and alot of ice durring winters which sucks even worse than more snow. My moms Honda Accord when it gets stuck it gets out kinda easy alittle left right motion of the steering wheel to clear the area while my car the LSD helps alot when my bros v6 firebird gets stuck, its stuck the LSD(and 10.5 inch wide rear tires) in my GT is very noticable when you get stuck.

Just saying if you dont drive like a retarded person and take your time like you should in hazardous conditions you are gonna go sidways and instantly go home and post on facebook "I went WOT threw a turn on the ice and went sidways WTF mustangs suck on the ice".
Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

im 17 and i just got my lisensce in september, it was my first winter and i did drive my parents suv's when it was snowing i did take my car out and it wasnt horrible, its all about being careful, which is obvious
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
tranceworld1216

When I was learning to drive in the snow of MI, I drove a 96 Ford Lightning a lot of the time. You just have to remember that you are not going anywhere fast. +1 for the snow tires. Snow tires alone make a world of difference.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I think the wide tires on Mustangs are the culprit in making the cars do poorly in snow.

I haven't tried it but I'll bet if you put skinny tires all around,especially in the front,you might do alright.Easy on the gas and a light foot on the brakes will help out a lot.ABS and traction control would almost be a requirement for year 'round driving.

I drove my 04 GT in four inches of new snow one night coming home from work and it was positively a white knuckled ride from start to finish.I was spinning and sliding sideways going uphill and praying to stay on the road going down the other side.I've been hung up in an inch of snow on flat level ground also.
My beater van is just the opposite.A 92 Dodge Caravan and it has never been hung up in snow.My theory is the FWD and narrow tires have more weight per square inch of contact patch so it sticks to the ice better.

Yes driving a Mustang in snow can be done but I'm more worried about the abundance of idiots all around me smashing my car!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:03 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I grew up driving Mustangs year round in North Dakota and Minnesota. It's all in how you drive the car when the snow starts coming down.
Could not agree more!!! I've had my Mach in a couple years of just crappy midwest winters and must say that I have never had a single problem when it comes to ice and snow, you just have to adjust your driving accordingly, perhaps throwing on some chains when necessary
Old 02-22-2010, 10:19 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

I'm probably reiterating what has been said (after glancing over the posts), but here's my thoughts. I live in central Iowa and so I've had my fair share of winters, my fiance lives on gravel so my last Mustang saw its fair share of muddy roads also.

To point out a couple things about your post, I'd like to draw your attention to two areas. First of all, many cars are rear wheel drive, in fact just look at the police cars around you...cars that rely on getting through every thing all year long and they're all rear wheel drive. Now compare a Ford Ranger pickup truck without 4wd and you're actually in probably a worse scenario than the Mustang as you have even less weight on the rear. Sure you can put sandbags in the bed of the truck, but a good 80lbs of sand bags in the back of the Mustang help a lot too. Put on some skinnier tires and you'll find yourself even much more more controlled.

I noticed you said you'd like to not use sandbags in the trunk, but I'm wondering why. If it's because it might get dirty, I assure you, with proper placement and plastic barriers, it's much easier to vaccuum a little sand then repair all the damage winter roads can do to a vehicle over the years.

I actually prefer using rear wheel drive, as I like having the ability to steer my car with acceleration in the winter rather than not be able to turn at all. In a front wheel drive car you get understeer and will have trouble making the turn at all in certain situations, but with rear wheel drive, a little blip of the throttle can place the vehicle just how you want it. Of course, too little control and you could spin out, but the same happens with too high expectations of a front wheel drive. You just take things slow and steady in the Mustang.

Lastly, you could do what I do if money is available. I bought my Mustang for the summer months, store it in the winter and drive something a little less awesome (Mitsubishi Diamante). Plus, if needed I can drive the daily in the rain or on long trips where I want to not drive the Mustang and rack up miles. I do love to drive it every chance I get though.

Quick Reply: Mustang for Me, a dream shattered?