General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 PM
85'St4ng

Unhappy Need help with stereo

Ok, i am trying to put my new stereo in my 84' mustang. and it really looks like someone was monkeyin with the wires back there before i bought the car. and it came without the stereo in it. and i bought a wiring harness for the new stereo and the new harness doesn't hook up in the car's system. and i was wondering for some tips and if i could get a diagram of the stereo equipment wiring. the only one i can find is on ALLDATA and i dont have a subscription for that. so if you could get back to me it would be really great thanks!

Justin
Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Do you have a multi-tester? Are you replacing the speakers as well? If so, you don't really need a wiring diagram to do what you are trying to do.

Basically, you need to have a constant 12v supply and a switched 12v supply to the head unit. You can get a constant supply with a new wire leading to the positive post on the battery. This is the easy way and not the 'cleanest' way. Then set your multi-tester to read 12vDC and find a wire under the dash that is hot with the key on. When you find one, turn the key off and see if you lose power at that wire. Use a splice connector and attach your switched 12v wire from the head unit to that. Connect your ground wire to a suitable metal part and you are set. Next run new wires to the speakers.

My description is the quick and dirty way to get your system powered. You should have the constant 12v wire protected by a fuse. Use this as a learning experience so that when you wire your next system, you can do a cleaner, more professional job.

I bet most of the people on this site started their wiring experience with a stereo installation. There are many books and sites on the web to give you an insight into the theory and practice of automotive wiring.

Buy a Haynes manual for your car and in the back will be a wiring diagram. Perhaps if you consult it before your installation, you will be able to identify a good circuit to jump off of for your switched 12v supply.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
ga chopper
1st Gear Member

its a lot easier to go to a radio shop to get a plug n play harness