General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how to paint rims?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how to paint rims?

all the "extras" we powdercoat, we clean on a plating line with its chemicals for a much better cleaning. sometimes we'll even plate the part with zinc first if possible, depending if it needs, we'll go over the part by hand with steelwool. A very fine sandblasting is always a opition also if the part will not clean the way we need it to.If you don't have to rough up the finish... don't! Chrome or Zinc, a shiny finish underneath makes for a brighter shine "snap" when the paint is cured. I'd use new wheels because the older/used ones will take some work cleaning, I'd also do a mild chemical etch unseen to the eye to asure proper adhesion of the paint. We mostly spray our "extras" by hand so we can control the paint thickness rather then running it in the spary booth and only coming up with .002 . We just did a 4 wheeler frame for some guy. He had it sandblasted and then left it sit out and flash rusted slightly. They ran it unknown to me, which I would have dipped in the acid pickle for a few minutes to clean it up... instead they hand rubbed it... well! it wasn't enough and when it came out[:'(] very ugly in some spots. The point is, the under finish is everything. if it shines, if it smooth, if it holds up,if it bonds to the steel correctly. but powdercoating is the way to go, dont sell you or the rims short of the best possible finish.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:43 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Default RE: how to paint rims?

I have a a powder coating machine and the lights to cure it.I bought it from Eastwood and have powder coated almost all the parts on my banshee.The powder coating is so durable its crazy.The best part is you just spray it with water and it gets all the dirt right off.I can answer anything for you about powdercoating.It cost me about 1,000 bucks to get everything I needed to get to do it.I have never done rims but it cant be harder than anything else