General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1988 5.0 lx mustang headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:37 PM
darinskillz

Default 1988 5.0 lx mustang headers

hey guys I recently had a noise coming from the lower part of my engine by my exhaust manifold. I pulled off my stock headers and there was white corrosion on the one closest to the firewall on the passenger side. i bought some jba headers used and they do not have threadings on the headers as my stock ones do. do i need to buy new bolts for the headers or do i have the wrong ones all together. i might just try changing my gaskets and putting the stock ones back. any suggestions please help. i tried going to the auto parts store and buying a nut for the bigger part of the threading but they didnt have any that fit. also i am not even sure if that is where the noise was coming from but it sounded like air leak up in the engine. i have had exhaust leaks in the mufflers for a little while now
Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 AM
mustangmike_50

I would call jba to find out what hardware you are supposed to have.
I would swap in an off road h-pipe since you are at that point, & please don't stick the stock exhaust manifolds back on, they are junk, and rob the motor of close to 30HP.
even if you had to buy a set of cheap shorty headers it would be better than putting the stock ones back on.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:39 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

your probably missing the studs

they are threaded on both ends

thats assuming you have the ball and socket type collector right??? not the 3-bolt flanged ones
Old 04-17-2010, 04:32 PM
darinskillz

yeah the thing is I bought the headers used off a guy with a parts car. I don't have money to buy any new ones right now. I had some nuts welded on the back of the Jba headers but they were too big and bulky and it was ridiculous hard to thread the bolts into the head. I put the stock headers back on with gaskets, and I still have the same noise. could it be a sticky lifter or a loose rocker. The noise sounds to me like its coming from under the intake manifold. my dad got a hose and stuck it in the engine but I couldn't get much from that. I guess I will pull the top half apart and see what I have going on.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:35 PM
darinskillz

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
your probably missing the studs

they are threaded on both ends

thats assuming you have the ball and socket type collector right??? not the 3-bolt flanged ones
Yeah i have them threaded on both sides but the person I got the headers from must have had the bolts welded. those headers were just slotted. ovals. its alright though they were rubbing up on a rail down there so I didnt really want to chance it or move the rail around them.