General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch/Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:44 PM
AldoS

Default Clutch/Transmission Problem

I have a 2000 Mustang V6 5 speed. Recently, I was passing a slow car. We were doing about 45. Shifted to 3rd from 5th and needed more so I shifted from 3rd to 2nd. It shifted perfectly, but when I went to go to 3rd, the clutch pedal was in the floor and of course couldn't shift. I coasted into a parking lot and the car sat there for a few hours. When I got back, the pedal was up again. Pushed in the clutch, took it out of gear and started up. Tried to get into reverse and couldn't. So, being in a spot with no other way, I turned of the car, put it in reverse and started up again. The car did start to move as it started. I turned it off and coasted backwards far enough to get pointed in the right direction. Put it in first and started again. At this point the pedal seemed better and I headed home. I thought I would just take it very slow to get home. For the heck of it, I pushed in the clutch and went for 2nd and it fell right in with no problem. At this point I'm smelling a little clutch and theres a hint of smoke behind the car. Got to get it home so kept easing down the road. Get 3rd, 4th and 5th. Come to the first stop sign and the clutch is completely disengaging and the car isn't creeping so I'm thinking the whole thing was a freak occourance. Well, the next morning, I went to pull off and could hear this noise like something may be binding up. Sounds kind of like a power steering pump low on fluid. It's still disengaging completely but I know somethings wrong. Does anyone have ideas or thoughts on what may have happened and what needs to be repaired.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Clutch/Transmission Problem

Question, why were you in 5th doing 45?? I never go into 5th unless I'm cruising at 60-65 and above. At that speed, unless you're going down hill, the RPM's are way too low.

Anyways, how many miles are on the car? It sounds like it's time to take that car to a shop and have the clutch checked out. Either your throwout bearing is binding (power steering pump squeal like) or the pressure plate has broken diaphram fingers.

Has your clutch ever slipped? As in you release the clutch to go from a red light and the engine revs but the car doesnt' go anywhere or slowly picks up speed? Could also experience that if you went from 1st to 2nd at wide open throttle.

I wouldn't let it go any longer, you could damage your tranny if it's not already.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:18 PM
AldoS

I was just easing along behind a friend talking to the wife.(as far as why 5th at 45) The car has a little over 70k miles on it. I have never had any problems with clutch until now. I was in it pretty good when I went from 3rd to 2nd.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Take it in, I'm guessing something got bent in the clutch assembly or a sychro gear got jammed. If I'm into the red-line and I go from 2nd to 3rd the tranny locks me out sometimes until the RPMs drop a bit.

I would think if you went from 5th to 3rd and floored it then from 3rd to 2nd, something got jammed. If it keeps up don't hesitate or you could really mess up the tranny if it's not already.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:51 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Sounds to me like the clutch fork bound up or the clutch cable.The tranny will not get hurt unless your grinding it trying to shift.Most likely there is no broken fingers cause it wouldnt work again.The throw out bearing I cant see being the problem either cause they usually brake in half or squel bad but you still have a pedal so its not broken.Thats a very weird situation you have there and sounds to me like something just stuck and released.Maybe the clutch pedle assembly or cable got stuck??