General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Limited slip for my Jeep 8.8 hotrod

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 PM
BuckeyeRideR

Default Limited slip for my Jeep 8.8 hotrod

Figured i'd come here for some answers since i'm sure plenty of you know about the 8.8. I'm swapping an explorer 8.8 into my grand cherokee and have some questions about the axle.

First of all what limited slip do you guys recommend? Preferably heavy duty since its not going in a stang and gear driven. I was looking at the truetrac.

On the 8.8 axles do you have to have an open carrier to install aftermarket limited slips? or will a factory LS carrier work also?

The goal is, to have both wheels pavement pound when i mash it
Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I can't recommend the best LSD without knowing what the intended purpose is.

Also, most 8.8 Mustang axles come with a clutch type LSD. I am not sure about the Explorer axle. I do know that the Ranger LSDs where the Torsen gear type. I would look for the axle tag and go from there. If it's an open carrier, you'll need to swap it out for an LSD; unless you buy an internal aftermarket one like the Powertrax design (which is actually a ratchet locker type). If you can find a cheap OEM LSD from a Ford 8.8" it should swap over. However, depending on your intent, it may be cheaper in the long run to get a more aggressive Eaton clutch type LSD.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
BuckeyeRideR

Originally Posted by socalwrench
I can't recommend the best LSD without knowing what the intended purpose is.

Also, most 8.8 Mustang axles come with a clutch type LSD. I am not sure about the Explorer axle. I do know that the Ranger LSDs where the Torsen gear type. I would look for the axle tag and go from there. If it's an open carrier, you'll need to swap it out for an LSD; unless you buy an internal aftermarket one like the Powertrax design (which is actually a ratchet locker type). If you can find a cheap OEM LSD from a Ford 8.8" it should swap over. However, depending on your intent, it may be cheaper in the long run to get a more aggressive Eaton clutch type LSD.
thanks for the response. I didn't really know if i should post on the stang forums or explorer ones. I guess i figured here since my goal is performance.

The LSD will be going in my 98 grand cherokee 5.9. Its my DD, tow things once in a while, but mainly my focus is performance. What i mainly want out of the LSD is traction! When i gas it i want full power to BOTH wheels and not a one wheel fire burner. I know a common mod here is to add an additional friction pad.

I think you tried to explain it but i don't understand.
For example; if you have a jeep d44a with a factory LSD you cannot install a locker with the LSD carrier, you must get an open carrier.
So i'm wondering; can an aftermarket LSD install into a factory 8.8 LSD carrier and/or open carrier?

Thanks for the input
Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 PM
BuckeyeRideR

looked around the explorer sites and everybody recommends the truetrac. And seconds being the eaton posi, mach 1 LSD, and regular 8.8 lsd with additional clutch. Thanks for the help
Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Since it's going into a Jeep which the same family as Dodge. Have you considered an 8 3/4" or Dana 60. Both differentials can have the clutch type system called Suregrip.

This is the BEST factory old school clutch system. The 8.8's need to have extra shims to make the 2 axles bite harder. Problem is they will even bite hard when you are not on the throttle.

There are 2 styles of Suregrip from Dodge. The older one is a Powerlock. I had it in a couple musclecars and have one swapped into my 87 Ram. With no throttle, they are about as tight as a stock 8.8L in a Mustang, not tight but does the job. When you apply power the clutches are compressed. Locking the axles together. If the engine is powerful and you have traction it will act like a spool.