General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

flywheel vs total hp

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 AM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Default flywheel vs total hp

what is the diff. i know you lose some power to the drivetrain but after your moving do you get that total hp again or is there just a 15 percent loss all the time
Old 08-09-2005, 12:33 AM

Default RE: flywheel vs total hp

drivetrain loss never really is a set number, more of a guestimate based on the vast majority of rated flywheel hp vs what people get on their base dyno runs.

If you make 260 flywheel hp you will never make 260 wheel hp until you modify your engine.

Edit: It's also hard to tell how much flywheel power you truely make. A lot of manufacturers underrate their cars (03-04 Cobras and Mach I's for example) for "insurance" purposes.

As another example, a few years ago when MM&FF tested the 02 Camaro SS and 03 Cobra on the dyno's the SS made 317 to the wheels, stock. Where as it was rated at 325 at the flywheel. The SVT made something like 378ish to the wheels where as it was rated for 390 crank horses.

So, gauging true flywheel power and the percentage of drivetrain loss is hard unless you have access to an engine puller and engine dyno. Gauging the wheel power is also hard since different runs can produce different results. engine temp, engine efficiency, Air temp, pressure, altitude, etc can all have an effect of dyno'ing different numbers. I've seen people dyno two times in a row and get numbers to the wheels that were at least 20 hp/tq apart from each other.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 AM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Thank you but one more thing if i cant get the total flywheel why do rear wheel cars do better that fwd cars of similar performace. and racing from a dig doesnt mean ill use or get any more horses
Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 AM

A lot of "doing better" has more to do with driver skill over peak power and how the car is setup to make that power. A lot of people think that peak hp being higher means that you'll instantly do better. Yet you can line a 400 hp 2600 lb Civic up against a 600 hp 3500 Cobra and, again depending on the driver, the Civic may win or the Cobra may win.

if a FWD and a RWD car make the same amount of power at the crank, the FWD vehicle will put more to the ground because it'll have less drivetrain loss.

Generally a FWD car has less drivetrain to go through.

fwd
flywheel, clutch, transmission gearing, output shaft, axles, wheel, tire, ground

rwd
flywheel, clutch, transmission gearing, output shaft, drive shaft, rear gears, TWO rear axles, wheel, tire, ground

Old 08-09-2005, 04:37 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

^^^that is a very excelent post [sm=hail.gif]
Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 AM
RAZER
2nd Gear Member

2000si- Just when I start to think you are fu**ing tool you post something like this with great info and your not bashing someone. Dam you 2000si dam you.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:33 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

thank you si the information was very helpful and also one last question i knew fwd handled better but if a fwd puts down more power to the wheels because of a lot less drivetrain loss why is it believed rwd is better for performance shouldnt fwd be faster
Old 08-09-2005, 01:52 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

when you accelerate, the weight of the car shifts to the rear wheels (not all, but a significant amount). rwd cars get better traction on their drive wheels when they accelerate. that's why badass cars can do a wheelie.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:53 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

also, fwd will put more power to the tires, but not to the ground. small difference in words, big difference in reality.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:07 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

ok thank you si and redass i understand now.

Quick Reply: flywheel vs total hp