General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NO LSD ON 05 GT !!!???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:21 PM
BLOWN05GT
1st Gear Member

Default NO LSD ON 05 GT !!!???

I have an 05 Mustang GT and had a non-intercooled Vortech Supercharger installed.

I just purchased new 3:90 Gears to replace the 3:31 Gears currently on it. The shop
that installed the supercharger is also going to change out the gears for me and they
said were suprised it did not have Limited Slip Differential and recommended that if
I wanted to have one installed that I do it at the same time as the gears to save $$$.

QUESTION TO EVERYONE: Why did the 05GT not come with LSD from the factory, and
is it not pretty much a no-brainer to have the shop put on in while they are changing
out the gear ratio?

DISCUSS...
Old 08-09-2005, 05:48 PM

Default RE: NO LSD ON 05 GT !!!???

Wow, that's shocking! Have it installed definitley. But that's weird that it doesn't have it from the factory.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:50 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

BLOW05GT, you're a goof!!! 05 Stangs come with LSD, your car has one in it, they just told you it doesn't so they can charge you money for installing what's already there. Who knows what they did to it while installing blower and what they over charged you. Go to any ford dealer and ask them if your car has an LSD, give them your VIN. Decode your rear end tag too. You will see that you have an LSD.

AL
Old 08-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Honestly for a guy that's got a blower on an 05, you need to read up on those things. ALL GT's come from the factory with a Limited Slip Diff.

My advice...Go pick your car up and tell them, nah, I might as well just leave it alone. Then go take it somewhere else. I wouldn't trust a shop that said something like that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like you're a relatively new car guy. So go do some research on the things you want/should have done. That way you'll know what you're talking about when you take it somewhere to have something worked on. Worst case is that you learn a little something, and you'll be able to do it yourself. They probably just smelled you coming.

Good luck. Take it somewhere else man!

Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
BLOWN05GT
1st Gear Member

The shop I went to did not do any work on the rear end, it was just the mechanic noticing that it might not have it. He told me to do some research to see if it did or not.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

When they turned the tire with the car in the air, the other side should have turned the other way. Was it in park?

Actually, if it was an LSD, it should have turned the same way. Unless it was in park.

But it is possible to only spin one tire. It's limited slip. Not Live Axle. It usually happens on older cars. Have you been beating it pretty hard?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:54 PM
BLOWN05GT
1st Gear Member

Duh I am an idiot, yes it was in park. I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to the internal workings of cars, but not TOO much of a newbie. If I knew all the answers and did not need advice, I would not be here on the forums I know enough to change my own oil and spark plugs but not enough to know what LSD is without looking it up first heh.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

It's no problem man, thats what we're here for. We were all new once. You gotta start somewhere. This is a good place for it.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:57 PM
BLOWN05GT
1st Gear Member

I worked at a Dragstrip for 4 years and my dad was the manager. So I know alot about what is a good time and what is not. What I don't know very much about is what makes the car have a good time or bad.

I know enough to know how much things cost :|

So here is what I think I need to do:

1. Have the 3:90 gears that I bought put in.
2. Get custom tune from local dyno shop.
3. Get DR on the rears.

Hopefully then I can start pulling 1.7 sec 60' times and maybe be in the low 8s to high 7s in the 1/8 mile.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM
BLOWN05GT
1st Gear Member

Being new = Expensive lol.

Quick Reply: NO LSD ON 05 GT !!!???