General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

What kind of mustang should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What kind of mustang should I buy?

Thanks a lot for the advice, I've also looked in that website you just gave me : http://www.autotrader.com. However, since I live in montreal I typed in http://www.autotrader.ca and it worked. I seem to having a hard time finding a good mustang with good millage down here in montreal. I will however keep looking as I've seen a few interesting choices. As far as buying a GT or V6 goes, i'd really love to own a GT but I guess i'll just have to search on my own and see what kind of choices are offered to me. I have however seen that many used GT's are not that expensive (or as expensive as I thought) compared to other newer V6's...
Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Zincpony
1st Gear Member

I have a V6 5SPD it fun as hell to drive.
much much better then an AUTO. DON"T GET an auto v6 theres no power to it at all. I test drove an auto then test drove a 5spd right afterwards. the difference is unmistackable. idk what to tell you about insurance since "Technically" the mustang belongs to my dad. i think its around 1300 a year and i have one minor traffic violations. Turning without a turn signal. It was bull**** the cops in Media just wanted something to nail me for cause they see me everyday driving in my super bring mustang and being that my house is accross the street from the PD
Old 08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

I was going to mention that also...as far as insurance goes, from what my insurance company told me, there isnt much of rate difference between v6 and v8, its just in the sports car category. Of course the gt was a tad bit higher, but 25.00 dollars a year for a gt is worth it. If your really concerned about insurance, a mustang isnt the car to get... And yes, dont get an automatic if your getting a v6. If you do want an automatic, get a gt for sure. You will lose some power w/ the automatic, but will still get some good speed. My sisters is a automatic and my 2000 alero can give it a good running!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/6699/F570D6FA8899434A8E30DCBE2A355C9D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

Yeah insurance really isn't a big issue for me right now but fuel economy is somewhat important because the fuel here is really starting to get expensive. I have a ford contour as mentionned earlier with a 50L tank and basically here the fuel is 1,20 $ per litre which means that to fill my middle size car (that has good gas millage) it costs me around 60 $ per week. However, I'm thinking that if I already have this car, I can quite probably go with a GT and use the other car for more daily things. Let's just say that I'm really not sure of anything right now. And when thinking about it, why not go with a GT after all?

Anyways, whatever my choice, I'm going with a standard transmission for sure. I'm not gonna buy an automatic sport car, it's just no fun to drive!

EDIT: I also wanted to know, is rebuilding an engine expensive and is it really worth it? I don't plan on doing that, I just wanted to have some info on that subject if possible. Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

yep, now your thinking..that is exactly what i do. I have an alero i drive daily and drive my stang whenever or where ever. Going w/ a gt vert w/ a 5 speed is probaly the most fun and enjoyable ride out there. You'll love it.

As for rebuilding, its will cost you. If you do it yourself, it wont be as much, but parts these days are expensive (quality parts). not sure on exact cost, just depends on what your looking at doing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6699/FD5110598A9F4973BDC1BDA55A3BC9D8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

Alright, I think I made up my mind. I'll go with a 2000 Mustang GT coupe with standard transmission. Preferably around 40,000 miles.

How much should it cost me? I was thinking around 10,000 to 12,000 $ CAN, which is approximatively 8200 to 9840 $ using the us/can exchange rate as seen this morning in the news (0,82 US for 1 $ CAN). Would that be a good estimate ? I have found theses numbers from the canadian black book, which is the equivalent of the american blue book...

However, after looking around in a lot of online website, I have seen 2000 mustang gt's with 40k miles cost a lot more than 12,000 $ CAN. Taking my numbers from the canadian black book, do you guys think that this estime is realistic?

Thanks a lot for your inputs/suggestions.

Nick
Old 08-10-2005, 08:33 PM
zanderwitaz
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2002 black GT covertible, (stick) and i love it. It had any problems and top down is the way to go. I live in san jose, CA so the weather is nice to my car. and i agree that soft tops are just as warm as ahrd tops in the winter. ( mines warmer than most hardtops because my car is triple black) and yes, definitely get a manual, because it keeps you focused on the road, and its ten times funner to drive. as for price, kit KBB.com and see what fits you. Oh and by the way, convertibles perform just as well as hard tops.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:37 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

test drive a v6 and then test drive a v8. after you do that, you will not think a v6 is fun.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:27 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

redass, i agree, thats the main thing that changed my mind to a gt. Besides, how often have you seen somebody on this board want to convert a v8 to v6...um, usually the other way around..i say do it right the first time and dont worry about all the costly upgrades to reach a gt.....
Old 08-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

test drive a v6 and then test drive a v8. after you do that, you will not think a v6 is fun.
I agree, but my wallet cries every time I have to fill her up. Gas is now $2.37 a gallon

Quick Reply: What kind of mustang should I buy?