General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Unique build help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:43 AM
NebraskaPintoWagon

Default Unique build help

Hello everyone. I'm kind of out of my element here and require a ton of help...mostly in advice to find parts.

The Story:

My dad owns a ?1976? Pinto wagon which I always thought had a 302 in it, but my brother claims it's a 289 bored out. This car has been in the shed at our farm since the early 80's. It was put there after a small engine fire of which I do not know the cause. My father is nearing retirement and I thought it would be awsome to get it up and running again.

The problem:

Everything I just stated is about all I know about the car. I don't want ot ask my dad because I don't want to clue him in to what I'm up to.

Things I'm looking to do.

Fuel Cell
new wiring
new seats and other interior
maybe a new crate motor I don't know if I can tear down the engine myself but maybe I'll have a shop do it.

Any good books or manuals I should be looking at also?

I'm not looking to make a track car or anything, just something fun to take out on the weekends.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 08-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Unique build help

The rebuilds you speak of are not going to be cheap.One thing you don't mention is the condition of the body?These cars were notorious rust buckets and even stored inside out of the rain,rust never sleeps.Rodents and other vermin have probably set up residence inside the seats and any other place they could find.Unfortunately because of the Pinto's limited popularityyou will have a lot more $$$$ in the car than it will ever be worth.But beauty is in the eye of the beholder,so if you look around for Pinto or old Ford websites you might find something that will help.Good luck.Sorry I couldn't be of any real help.