General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1996 mustang coupe 3.8 problems need fixing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:51 PM
gtownmustang

Default 1996 mustang coupe 3.8 problems need fixing

hi all..well i have a 1996 mustang 3.8 litre automatic coupe
- problems i have with it are,,spedometer now sticks...when i start the car in the moring it is fine and running and when it warms up and stops and will come back here and there..so can this be fixed and how..thanks
- temperature gauge problem...well when car is running and should be at half,,it goes to red line and than back to the middle and than floats back to red line and goes back to middle,,just got a new rad last year,,,what can this probem be,,,thanks
and finally my service light and airbag lights are on..for the engine light could be a sensor or anything
need advice thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 05:14 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 1996 mustang coupe 3.8 problems need fixing

Ok first off you need to stop driving the car untill you have that overheating problem fixed, thats not a guage malfunction. That same bullcrap happened to me when my stang died. I tried to fix it myself but couldnt resolve it, I replace the thermostat and coolant but it didnt help.

Scales (deposites) can build up on the insides of the water passages restricting waterflow and causing overheating, deposites can also gather at the bottom row on the radiator and restrict water flow as well, the dealership or a shop can flush your system for you or you can ATTEMPT to do it yourself with Prestone Radiator flush (can be bought at wal-mart forl ike $5 bux) Another underlying problem is that you are just beinging to feel the pains of a leaking (Soon to be blown) headgasket and then to a cracked head, its quite possible that you could have a crack developing in your heads.

Usually unless treated soon this problem will turn into a dead engine. I have heard of several people having this begin to happen to them and then WAM they either have to replace the heads or get a new engine due to damage to the main bearings and block due to excessive heating.

As for the other problems that you are having I would suggest changing your speedo cable and plastic gear, thats probably the problem, but without being there I cant know for sure.

Good luck, and remember, if your engine ever does fail, you can always swap it for a V8 like I did!