General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jacking up my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 05:43 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

Default Jacking up my car

I have a floor jack and i need to jack up the front end. Do I just put it on the middle of the frame between the tires or what? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Jacking up my car

Make sure the lift pad shoves up against the K member and none of the less robust steering parts.After you get the car up in the air be sure to use jack stands.Never trust your life to the little seals in a floor jack.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:22 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

I never had a unibody before, so I don't know jack about jacking it up. Please post some pictures of where to put floor jack in the front and in the rear. Also post some pictures of where to put jack stands in the front and in the rear. Thanks.

AL
Old 08-15-2005, 08:58 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

Is the k member right in the middle (shiny silver)? I'm not sure. I have a 5 ton floor-jack, it's d@mn heavier than my car.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:57 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

I'd stick the jack just behind the wheels, right at the spot you'd stick the cars jack if you were changing a flat tire. Look behind the front wheels you'll see a bit of a jagged spot, that's where the factory jack would be put.

And yea use jack stands once the car is high enough DON'T trust just the floor jack.

Right about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HERE! /\
Old 08-15-2005, 11:10 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

it doesnt matter how amazing of a jack you have, listen to these ppl and use jackstands

dont wanna die for a simple mistake

[sm=devilangel.gif]
Old 08-15-2005, 11:33 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Right behind your front tires 1 foot back and 1 foot in there are the end of the frame rails those are the best spot to jack the car because they are acual frame.On the back there is the same thing but its a square spot right in front of were the control arms bolt in.Your better of to use these spots because if you do it in the middle of the K-member it can slip easy cause it is not flat and crush your oil pan,it happens alot so just jack it side to side and throw a stand under each side.DONT GO UNDER A CAR WITH NO JACKSTANDS ....atleast, if you dont have them just put some cinder blocks under the tires when you lift it to keep it from crushing you if it fails.Trust me peolpe are killed all the time by jacks failing
Old 08-15-2005, 11:44 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

jackstands are overrated....just kidding man get your some jacks and I even use a wheel chalk for extra safety. You never know when they ebrake cable feels like quiting on you.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

Jack stands ARE over rated. My buddy's a professional mechanic, he never uses any. He has lift, but sometimes he uses jack. No jack stands, no wheel chalk, no brains. I don't dare.

Where would you stick the jack stands in front and in the middle?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:52 AM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4600cc

Jack stands ARE over rated. My buddy's a professional mechanic, he never uses any. He has lift, but sometimes he uses jack. No jack stands, no wheel chalk, no brains. I don't dare.

Where would you stick the jack stands in front and in the middle?

Ya ok.....He wont be one for long!I have a lift in my garage, what does that have to do with jackstands??The jackstands go on each side either under the frame or the a arms and under the rear end or control arms

Quick Reply: Jacking up my car