General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

need to convert from FEUL INFECTION to CARB system... need big help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Samz85

Default need to convert from FEUL INFECTION to CARB system... need big help

hi..

i have big issues with the ford dealership in my country...

i finaly decided to convert from EFI to carb... i knw its more power that way..
bt foremost i miss my ride.. and jst wanna make it run.. NEED BIG EXPERT HELP

OK.. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ALL I NEED TO CONVERT TO A CARB SYSTEM..

I HAVE A V8 1999 MUSTANG...

CHEERS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THE HELP..

SAMZ...
Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

You've got a 4.6l V8 in that? Ford (or noone else I know) made a carb intake manifold for the 4.6 so you're SOL

Or replace the whole motor with an older 5.0
Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I've seen a few, don't know who makes them though. But honestly, converting an engine like that to carb is going to be a bit of a pia, and if you have to ask what it takes, it's prolly not the project for you. Plus carbs need to be tuned by someone who really knows what they're doing to get them to run right. And that prolly represents less than 10% of carb'd cars out there.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
jsaleen90
1st Gear Member

It amazes me that guys would convert from fuel injection to carburated. EFI is so much better and has more capabilities of controllability of the system with some basic electronics. Carbs are a PITA I stay as far away from them as possible.

I guess to each their own.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:48 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

So much better in what way? If you know what you're doing you can get a carb to perform as well as EFI, and often make a bit more power on the top end. They're much simpler and a lot cheaper, with less stuff to go wrong. You just have to know what you're doing....which most people don't, and there's not much accurate knowledge out there about them.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Samz85

hi,
thanks to everyone for the replies; bt i wanna make a few things clear:
1) its a 1999 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6 V8....
2) Im based @ Doha,Qatar... and the dealership here jst wanna empty ur pockets with no results,..
3) my problem at first was a fuel pump, so i bought a new one and while it was gettin fixed, the garage shorted all my wires n computer... i found the whole system of a wrecked car.. and placed it in... it worked fine .. now i have a problem with the programing, so i went to the Dealership to program the key and the computer... FORD is telling me its my fuel pump again ,however, im sure its gt smtin to do with the PAT system.. the anti-theft light is blinking...
Anyways, bottom line is im tired of the DEALERSHIP HERE, and hence jst want to go with the classic CARB system..i do have mechanics who are with the DRAG TEAM OF QATAR...
"ANABI RACING" you can google to check if u guys like..
they offered me to carb ma ride, it will be alot more powerful, bt at the moment all i want is to enjoy the sweet weather this desert country is offering me...

SO ALL I NEED IS SOME INFO REGARDING WAT SIZE CARD, INTAKE, LOW PRESSURE AND MSD IGNITION SYSTEM I WILL NEED...

cheers..
Samz
Old 10-29-2010, 12:55 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Another thing you should consider: Even though the Saudi peninsula does not have any emissions laws, when you return back home, you might have to consider if your newly carbed 4.6L can pass the sniff tests. Or at the very least, auto inspections. If the inspection shops see a carb where EFI should be, they might automatically fail your car.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The only cars that are allowed to be carb'd legally in the US are cars that came with carbs. That's federal law.

As far was sizes, you're going to be limited on intake availability. Basic inline electric pump with a pressure regulator to 4.5-6.5psi(prolly gonna need return style). You can also use your existing pump with a regulator designed to handle the input pressure with a return line. Carb size varies based on power/rpm range, gearing etc, but you should be find with a decent 650, really anything from 500-650cfm will be fine on that engine, not making much power stock. A good 60 will support more power later without strangling the engine.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

That's good to know. I never messed with carbing a newer engine, so I do not know the EPA laws. All I know is you are allowed to put a newer engine with its associated emissions controls into an older car, but you are never allowed to put an older engine into a newer car.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Whats FEUL INJECTION?

Quick Reply: need to convert from FEUL INFECTION to CARB system... need big help