General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What MPG and HP increasing devices NOT to buy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 04:41 AM
NeverHad1

Default RE: What MPG and HP increasing devices NOT to buy!

I'm doing a test of some supposed gas saving devices now. It's on a Jeep with the 4.7, not a Mustang. First up is the Tornado. My hopes are not very high, but someone has to go over the wire.

It's being recorded here:
http://www.opportunitiesaplenty.com/Debt_Blog/
Old 06-16-2006, 02:12 PM
FC

Acetone? I'm no mechanic, but I worked with acetone for several years. It is SO highly flammable! A guy spilled some on the desk next to me, and I had a bunsen burner on. His desk immediately caught on fire.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Jkuchera

another thing not to use whice some people are just going to hate me for this... K&N filters, people say they add horsepower blah blah blah but you know that little oil charge they put in there? you just better hope you dont have mass air, that oil will collect and carbon up which is most likely going to tell the computer to richen the mix (lower your mileage) and make you think your getting more horsepower. when it comes to filters there nothing better then factory, if you think they just slapped on any filter on there then you're mistakin. other than that K&N is perfect for non mass air motors.

say all you want, go do your homework, as for the smart people out there, you know i'm right
Old 07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Dingo0079
3rd Gear Member

Where did you get that info at? I have had a K'N filter in every car I have had since driving, always got better gas mileage and never got any damage to my motor from it letting anything by. Maybe you should think about what you are typing before you post MORON! KN filters are probably one of the best on the market everyone copies them and good value. As for your ac delco paper filters yeah they are good and keeping **** out of your engine because they are so restrictive, even air has a hard time getting through

DIP****
Old 07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Dingo0079
3rd Gear Member

Steeda cai is good just put it on mine and there is a noticeable increase in performance as now my stock gt likes to rev to redline, use to noticeably drop off at about 5700 rpm. This is exactly what all cai are good for they will get dyno results @ the upper rpm range right where the stock intake has a little trouble. Don't listen to these ******* who say it isn't worht doing it, you may only get 7-10 hp from a steeda cai but the difference in throttle response and upper rpm is what you will want it for anyway.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Sergey
1st Gear Member

does anyone know anything about the cai's from ebay?do they work?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sergey

does anyone know anything about the cai's from ebay?do they work?
Use the "search" function and you'll find lots of info on that - but to give you a short answer, no they don't. What they're made of (aluminum) actually hinders more then helps your car because the material allows more heat from the engine bay to transfer into the air that is being taken through the intake. Warmer air = less fule economy and pooerer performance. If you're looking for a cheap way to increase performance a bit, do the home made CAI mod which can be found here http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/coldair.htm . It's inexpensive, and probably works comparibly to expensive CAI's. Oh, and the Ebay CAI's require modifications for your MAF and sensor I believe, too.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:48 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I noticed the exact same thing. Over time, with an oil based filter, my gas mileage would decrease. Cleaning the air filter didn't fix the problem at all. I finally decided to look at the sensors with the engine running to see what the computer was looking at. What do you know...I was open looped with no faults. Every reading indicated rich, as a result of the open loop. I thought it might have been an O2 sensor. Nope. Coolant/Air temp sensors. Nope. I finally cleaned the MAF. The cotton swab quickly turned black from the oil that had accumulated on the sensor. After cleaning the MAF and installing a non-oil based filter, mileage was back up and the system stopped running open loop.

If you don't believe K&N and the others aren't hurting your car, take out your MAF and clean it very carefully with isopropyl alcohol and a clean cotton swab. You'll soon see why you don't want to use oil-based filters on a computerized car.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Wes8398
1st Gear Member

How'd you clean the MAF? I'd be interested in doing that...
Old 07-07-2006, 07:59 PM
dryvingnut
1st Gear Member

Some say carb cleaner, but if you can find it, CRC is making a Mass Air Intake cleaner (aerosol). Grey can with black top/

Quick Reply: What MPG and HP increasing devices NOT to buy!